lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2023, 09:57 AM   #1
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Upgrade time - Drive 2

I know I was on borrowed time and I believe my time came. I have a Yamaha drive 2 with a RoyPow 51V battery, I lifted the cart for driving down to the beach. I was able to get away with the stock controller and motor until last weekend; I was struggling pulling a cart out of the soft sand and it seemed to go into limp mode or just stopped. I got towed back and pulled the cart to the house and plugged it in. The cart charged back up, and we were able to park it. The cart now runs, but it just seems to cut out after driving for a few seconds. I think the motor or controller is bad, can someone please help.

We use the cart every week and it's our only mode of transportation.
Dr_Greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2023, 11:26 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Upgrade time - Drive 2

You may have cooked the motor. I don't know the difference between my G29 Drives and your Drive 2 but if it has the Hitachi motor that I have it's not very robust and it wears brushes fairly quickly. You were probably putting a pretty big load on motor driving in soft sand.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You may have cooked the motor. I don't know the difference between my G29 Drives and your Drive 2 but if it has the Hitachi motor that I have it's not very robust and it wears brushes fairly quickly. You were probably putting a pretty big load on motor driving in soft sand.
I do have the stock motor, it has a blue sticker and Hitachi on it. Yes, big load trying to tow in sand.

Can I salvage the weekend and remove it and possibly fix the brushes while I await a new motor?

Recommendation on an upgraded motor and possibly controller?
Old 06-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You can try to replace the brushes. Do you smell any burnt smell around the motor? Again, I don't know the difference between Drive 2 and my G29's. I have done Hitachi motor brushes on my motors in the past. Not too hard if you are handy. It's a somewhat messy job and often, the commutator needs some repair if the motor ran until the brushes were so worn that it wouldn't run.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You can probably get a motor just as fast as the brushes and those hitachi motors usually have more issues than that. Be warned that the bolts holding the motor on currently will be metric. A new motor will normally be SAE.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:52 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you need a new motor, do not replace it with another Hitachi motor. Go for a more robust aftermarket motor. Cost will be roughly the same.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Gotcha, I want something that will last. I tried emailing ScottyB, but it was returned stating the mailbox was full so I called Plowmans.

I suppose I should upgrade the controller as well correct? Anything else I should address at this time?

I can pull the motor, it just seems like an awkward job.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:37 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes - it's awkward. I put my cart up on ramps and take the motor out the bottom. Mine has only three metric bolts holding the motor to the transaxle. I wrap a strap around the motor and let it down gently. Sometimes it can be difficult to get it loose from the transaxle. It doesn't hurt to have a second person helping. MAKE SURE to disconnect the battery before starting work!!!! Also, when removing the cables from the motor, be extra careful not to let the studs rotate or you will break off the wires internally. Put an open end wrench on the lower nut and don't allow that stud to turn when loosening the nut holding the cable on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha