lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
Bwanna
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Does a kf82 fire on each revolution or every other

I acquired a 1990 Club car DS recently. I had the engine rebuilt and I've got it all put back together and runs well except I can't tell if my RPMs are too high. I did standard govener rod adjustment, acellerator rod adjustment. I bought a cheap tach from Amazon and here is where my problem starts.

The tach is set for spark each revolution. At this setting I can easily hit 4000 RPMs not even at full throttle. When set for 1 spark every other revolution it would be about 2800 to 3300 at near full throttle.

So does anyone one know definitively does the kf82 fire each revolution or every other revolution?

Is there supposed to be rev limiter for this version of the engine? I see kf82 rev limiter modules for sale but I don't see any mention of them in clubcar service manual.

Thanks for any help.
Bwanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2023, 11:11 PM   #2
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Default Re: Does a kf82 fire on each revolution or every other

It's a single cylinder engine with the flywheel fixed to the crank. The flywheel has a magnet on it that rotates with the flywheel. It passes the spark coil once ever rotation of the crank. So yes, there will be a spark for every rotation of the crankshaft.

The engine takes two revolutions to produce a power stroke, thus it is a 4 cycle engine. The spark is wasted on the exhaust stroke.

And yes, the engine can rev freely without a load. Make sure that your tach shielded wire has a good ground next to the spark plug.
Ricks_club is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #3
Bwanna
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
It's a single cylinder engine with the flywheel fixed to the crank. The flywheel has a magnet on it that rotates with the flywheel. It passes the spark coil once ever rotation of the crank. So yes, there will be a spark for every rotation of the crankshaft.

The engine takes two revolutions to produce a power stroke, thus it is a 4 cycle engine. The spark is wasted on the exhaust stroke.

And yes, the engine can rev freely without a load. Make sure that your tach shielded wire has a good ground next to the spark plug.
Thanks for that info. I got the cheapest tach on Amazon ($10) it doesn't have a ground. I think I'm going to try a different tach. Any recommendations?
Bwanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwanna View Post
Thanks for that info. I got the cheapest tach on Amazon ($10) it doesn't have a ground. I think I'm going to try a different tach. Any recommendations?
Yes, this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12502440613...0AAOSwrWBho6nh

I got this last year for my garden tractor, it works great.

Richard
Ricks_club is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car