lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
GavinMosher
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 lower engine knocking/seizing up

Guys I am pretty bummed out .... Just got my new to me G1 turning over with the new starter generator. Installed new ignition and sprayed some fogging oil down the plug hole. Turned it over and it fired right up!!!! However it has a ticking/knocking from down lower and occasionally will seize up causing me to have to manually turn the engine over. I think it honestly has a bad rod bearing...... Does anyone have a link to an aftermarket lower end rebuild kit or even a good used engine??? I'm super upset my G1 dream may be already over.... Any help thanks!!!
GavinMosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 lower engine knocking/seizing up

I’m thinking…if you’re mechanically inclined.. you need to pull the motor and tear it down. Intermittent seizing? That sounds bad. Mine seized due to a failed crank bearing. If you look up my history on here, you’ll see it. This was a year after I rebuilt it, and the failed bearing was marked “Made in China”. I had to cut the bearing to get it out. I’m honestly not real sure of the root cause of the fail, so as an extra safety measure, Im now premixing my gas & oil.
So open it up and see what you own. I replaced the main bearings, crank seals, wrist pin bearing, and rings. Everything else seemed to be in reasonable condition. My big concern was the rod bearing, but it seemed ok (whew). I made my own main bearing puller which I think I posted on here. I used an old camp stove to heat the case foe bearing insertion and kept the bearings in the freezer overnight prion to inserting them. They fell right in. All in all, I’m thinking I spent maybe…$200? My cart is back up and running with “Made in Japan” bearings.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #3
GavinMosher
Not Yet Wild

I am definitely mechanically able to do so. I ordered some bearings for the crank, wrist pin, and already have a top end rebuild kit. So your lower rod bearing was ok?? Was the bearing that failed on yours one of the crank bearings? Thank you for your response... do you also maybe know of a gasket to replace the case gasket?
Old 06-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Where did you get your parts from? If it’s Amazon or eBay, send them back. The aftermarket stuff doesn’t last.

Personally I’d also never order parts to rebuild an engine or repair something without first tearing it down and knowing exactly what it is that I need. Saves you from replacing stuff you don’t need to, or worse yet, realizing once you’ve torn it down that something inside is not rebuildable and no longer available so you can’t do anything with the engine. I had an ezgo like that once…
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:39 PM   #5
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinMosher View Post
I am definitely mechanically able to do so. I ordered some bearings for the crank, wrist pin, and already have a top end rebuild kit. So your lower rod bearing was ok?? Was the bearing that failed on yours one of the crank bearings? Thank you for your response... do you also maybe know of a gasket to replace the case gasket?
Yes, my rod bearing looked good. One crank bearing was HISTORY.. I bought my parts on eBay. So far so good, and I drive it daily. Also bought the gasket set on eBay…oh and a piston.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 04:49 PM   #6
GavinMosher
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Yes, my rod bearing looked good. One crank bearing was HISTORY.. I bought my parts on eBay. So far so good, and I drive it daily. Also bought the gasket set on eBay…oh and a piston.
Do you happen to have a link to a crank case gasket for when I split the case?
Old 06-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Not for nothing but the bearings on one of my old Columbias went south a few years ago. I popped the motor out of the cart, split it for inspection, procured all of the needed replacement parts and took everything to a local motor shop that does car engines. I gave them a service manual as well. For $80 they gave me a back a motor that was able to be put back into the cart without me messing with it. What took them a couple of hours would have taken me days.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #8
GavinMosher
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Not for nothing but the bearings on one of my old Columbias went south a few years ago. I popped the motor out of the cart, split it for inspection, procured all of the needed replacement parts and took everything to a local motor shop that does car engines. I gave them a service manual as well. For $80 they gave me a back a motor that was able to be put back into the cart without me messing with it. What took them a couple of hours would have taken me days.
I have everything I need including factory Yamaha wrist bearings and Japanese crank bearings.... I am now just looking for the crank case gasket for when I split the case.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:19 PM   #9
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Go online plowman’s they have good Yamaha g1 parts well high performance parts like rods and rod bearings
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:07 AM   #10
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinMosher View Post
I have everything I need including factory Yamaha wrist bearings and Japanese crank bearings.... I am now just looking for the crank case gasket for when I split the case.
no crank case gasket needed. Use Yamabond or Honda Bond sealant only. anything will give you issues. there is no gasket, this is how the factory assembled it
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha