lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #1
Tripline123
Not Yet Wild

Default Is there a big difference between Predator 459cc and 670cc?

I just bought a 1989 Yamaha G2 lifted Gas cart the other day and have already pulled the engine out. Body is going to be painted Yamaha Blue and going to do engine swap. I'm leaning towards the Predator 459cc engine over the 420cc or 670cc. AS I wanted to keep oem starter/generator and push pedal to start option. For you guys with a 420/459/670 do you think I'll regret this decision not to just do the 670cc swap? Now that I'm also changing the primary clutch I'm probably only around $500 cheaper than I would be doing the 670cc and figuring out an alternator set up. But would lose the pedal start option. Really torn on this to be honest and by the time I add a rear seat, new front shocks, top I could have bought one already done for cheaper
Tripline123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2023, 12:40 PM   #2
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is there a big difference between Predator 459cc and 670cc?

Single vs twin cylinder
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
doo dah
Gone Wild

If you want to keep pedal start and generator then go with the single cylinder, will still be 10x better than stock. I have the 670 and love it, actually prefer the key start and ability to idle regardless of gear I'm in. I did not do an alternator however I did install a 2 bank marine charger to keep my 2 batteries charged when I'm not using it which has worked well so far. My cart is a 6 seater with 25" tires so I really needed the v twin.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:16 PM   #4
Tripline123
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the info.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:31 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Another thing to consider is do you want top speed or big torque. IF you used something like a 440cc duromax a really built 5600 rpm engine would be less than $1000. A high rpm 670 about double that. BUT just looking for more torque like for off road the stock 670 is the better pick. FYI The 440 duromax is $399 delivered from amazon.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:46 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I vote for the Vtwin, just no comparison for smoothness and off idle torque, very nice engine for a cart. The stock air filter and muffler make it a good value vs a Vanguard.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:17 PM   #7
Tripline123
Not Yet Wild

Well I'm in the middle of the install of the predator 459 in my G2 using vegas carts install kit and gen/starter bracket. Although their instructions are good, they are a few sticking points I'm having.

On the rear of the 459 the yellow wire from the oil sensor goes into a little black box, then red wire coming out of the box. Do I just delete this as the oil sensor won't be used?

And the starter/generator bracket. I installed the new primary with locktite, 40lbs on the bolt. Then realize that the upper part of the starter/gen bracket has a bolt that I cannot installed with the vegas cart starter/gen wheel/primary already installed as it is blocking this hole. If I'm doing this right. And I see no directions for the starter/gen bracket. Also with the gen/starter in place it is right up against the oil fill/dipstick on the 459. This just does not seem right to me.

Anyone install a 459 into a G2 with vegas carts kit?
Old 06-18-2023, 08:11 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

In some cases the S/G bracket ends up on the dip stick top. Some instructions tell you to shave the top of the dip stick handle for clearance. In my case I made a longer top bracket and used a longer S/G belt and rotated the S/G toward the front of the cart allowing use of the forward dip stick and lets you drain the oil in oil changes without removing the S/G. On page 2 of my clone throttle thread there is a couple of pics of my current set up along with a pic on page 1 of the stock set up. Also on page 2 of my Vc460 thread there is a pic of the 2 brackets together. (The S/G and VC base plate) P.S. On my Omega install I used the VC dog bones in place of the original carriage bolt set up but the orientation of the 2 brackets is the same. P.P.S. On page 13 of my Omega thread a pic shows the dog bones and 1 setting on the engine. The front one goes thru S/G bracket atop the engine block.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:36 AM   #9
Tripline123
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. I figured that the dog bones are used to hold bracket to the engine block. So that seems to be correct. The bolt that came in the kit just will not go into the engine block above the primary to hold that upper s/g bracket. Appears to be right size but maybe difference in threads. So have to go get correct bolt this morning in order to continue.

Below are photos of the electrical on the 459cc. Do I just delete this black box/yellow wire?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 459.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4591.jpg (166.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-18-2023, 12:51 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My dog bones came with the 4 bolts along with the lock washers. I had enough trouble with the top S/G mounting bolt coming loose I made a stud using Loctite Red for it along with a nord lock on the nut. This has not loosened up in either engine. This is also pictured on page 13 of my Omega build thread. Really discovered the nords with the exhaust header loosening up no matter what else I tried.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!