lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2023, 05:27 PM   #1
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Default Need alternative to Zeva BMS

So I was going to add 7 more Nissan Leaf batteries to my existing 14 cell set up (I want more range). I'm running the Zeva 16V3 BMS, temp sensors, shunt and V3 monitor. Well I dug up my old emails to Ian from Zeva and reached out about what small BMS to use for the 7 new batteries and that's when I found out Zeva went out of business. Man that's sad to hear because I've been running this BMS for a couple years now and its flawless and great at what it does. So my question is what is the go to BMS for the Nissan Leaf cells now. I have 2 open ports left on my 16 so I need a good BMS for 5 to 7 cells or just put all 7 new ones on the same BMS, which ever I really don't care. It might be better to have these 7 all on the same BMS. I'll take any recommendations. Thanks guys.
Ryan Tug Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2023, 04:10 AM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Need alternative to Zeva BMS

All 7 MUST be on the same BMS. Look at the JK BMS’s they’re my new go to unit. Previously it was JBD. Stay away from Daly.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:33 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

That's interesting. Below is the wiring for assembling 14 Leaf modules to end up with 48V....well....more than 48V. (Of course, if you have done this you pretty much know this diagram)

Now (and here's where my non-engineering skills come into play ) adding an additional 7 modules into an existing 14 module pack is not as "simple" as extending the buss bar arrangement?

BTW: It's very easy to obtain non-engineering skills. No class's to attend, no test to take, no silly certifications to strive for. (And, I'm also an internet brain surgeon should you ever need that service)

DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:47 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Boy......am I easy to confuse....I posted the above, then I thought I clicked the same post here: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=190217 but what I posted suddenly wasn't there.

I though I was banned for being a non-engineer. Just turns out it's easy to confuse me anymore.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:36 AM   #5
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

I will build the 7S and put it all on its own BMS and it will be 48v but AH will be half of the 14s I have now. Then I will just wire it in parallel to my current 14s and I should be able to stretch the legs out on her for a longer period of time at that point. I wish I had room for another full 14s and the parallel those together would give me double the distance but 7 is about all I have room for without completely reengineering my set up.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #6
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
All 7 MUST be on the same BMS. Look at the JK BMS’s they’re my new go to unit. Previously it was JBD. Stay away from Daly.
Pat I see a 4s-8s and I see a 4s-24s unit. Will all these do 48v or is there a special one that will do 7s and 48v(charge to 58.1v)? I've been reading for hours and just can't find an black and white answer to my question on that. Thanks in advance
Old 06-06-2023, 05:17 PM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Either will do.

Dave’s non Engineering mind is correct. You can disassemble your existing pack and wire 3 modules in parallel instead of the two you have now. You can’t simply add the 7 modules at the end. You can then reuse your existing Zeva BMS without adding another. More work though. My battery is a 21 module leaf pack wired exactly like that.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #8
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Either will do.

Dave’s non Engineering mind is correct. You can disassemble your existing pack and wire 3 modules in parallel instead of the two you have now. You can’t simply add the 7 modules at the end. You can then reuse your existing Zeva BMS without adding another. More work though. My battery is a 21 module leaf pack wired exactly like that.
I PMed you. I'd like to see pics and possibly a wiring diagram of your 21 module pack if possible. Thanks Pat
Old 06-06-2023, 08:56 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

See there.....I figured since I took my initial 7 module pack, then added another 7 modules.....why not just add 7 more?
Old 06-07-2023, 03:22 AM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tug Smith View Post
I PMed you. I'd like to see pics and possibly a wiring diagram of your 21 module pack if possible. Thanks Pat
No PM received. I’ll see if I can find any photos otherwise it will have to wait until I’m next where the cart is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts