lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
schatzicat
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 club car ds no start

I have a 2000 club car ds gas. this all started last year when the cart would run for 9 holes than pretty much not start(although it would turn over)
started with the centrifugal clutch and changed it, same out come...good for 9-12 holes then no start. if I wait 5-10 minutes it starts and runs. more holes the longer the wait.
next I changed fuel pump,filters and carburator. actually much harder to start now. changed ignition coil...no change. tested plug with spark plug in it and left on metal whilst starting.....nice blue spark.. compression tested to 150psi
im baffled.. not a mechanic for diagnosing but can follow youtube instructions for swapping well enough. also changed 4 micro switches to no avail..the previous owner stated they messed with governor to gain speed..not sure what method.it is possible to start by either putting in service mode and flooring the pedal and manually manipulating the throttle to close the carb as much as possible and doing tiny pulls on it OR in drive mode, barely pushing down the pedal and feathering it for a little bit. once it is running it runs very well. I can even release the pedal as if to slow or stop and hit the pedal again before the engine is completely off and it fires right back up. the only thing I can think of now is the throttle cable or something. sorry for the long question and description. any suggestion appreciated. thanks
schatzicat is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2023, 01:53 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 club car ds no start

When people do a DIY "speed it up" it's often just over tightening the throttle cable. Make sure the carb throttle plate stays closed till after the starter & ignition turn on. To do it right requires a balance between the throttle cable and the governor.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:21 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

First bad thing... you went to you tube to learn golf car repair. Second thing, just started changing parts...Im goint to assume you are not using OEM parts? Thats going to be an issue also.

Your original issue was either a bad coil or RPM limiter. Coil is most common with how you described the failure. However, if you put an aftermarket coil....That could still be your issue, they come out of the box bad. This is the simplest motor to figure out. You can disconnect the RPM limiter and see if your problem still exists and if it does, then you know its the coil
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:39 PM   #4
schatzicat
Not Yet Wild

from what i had been told the previous owner didnt use the ziptie method but rather the bending forward or backward method on the bracket arm the throttle cable is connected to. i will be checking out to see if the throttle plate on carb stays closed while the initial starter and ignition go off...
Old 06-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #5
schatzicat
Not Yet Wild

the new coil was after market..so by disconnecting the ground from rev limiter will tell me if the coil is bad? say it runs with ground off, this means it is not ignition coil? thanks for reply.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:46 PM   #6
schatzicat
Not Yet Wild

I atill have the old ignition coil and old carb..when I took it off to inspect..the bowl was not dirty and jets were clear...I will put back the old one on because this new one which is after market like the coil must have a bad fuel air mixture causing a rich smell and backfiring into the carb thru the intake hole..any way to test the old coil with out reinstalling it to see if it is bad?
Old 06-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatzicat View Post
the new coil was after market..so by disconnecting the ground from rev limiter will tell me if the coil is bad? say it runs with ground off, this means it is not ignition coil? thanks for reply.
Disconnect the ground, but you still have to drive it to see if the problem still exists.

Put the original carb back on as its rare they ever fail
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:56 PM   #8
schatzicat
Not Yet Wild

old carb back on. as i am able to get it started and running with either feathering the pedal or micro manually pulling the throttle to the carb, I did drive it for a bit. full stopping and waiting a few minutes to rest cart and see if i can push pedal and take right off. it did for the smaller waits but for the longer it took a bit of tapping the pedal as if there was a sweet spot. but when it was cruising down a road close to the course, I did hit the rev limiter, telling me it is working. I could be wrong tho. if you still think it is a culprit i will disconnect the ground tomorrow..another thing i read was the ignitor. I was under the belief that the ignition coil i got was one that has the ignitor built in. turns out it is behind the rev limiter hiding behind a 10mm. from what i described, would that cause issues? because at first cart ran fine but the longer i used it the hotter the engine got.. thanks
Old 06-06-2023, 09:11 AM   #9
schatzicat
Not Yet Wild

I have come to the conclusion that the rev litimer is operational as disconnecting the ground did nothing to remedy the issue. my guess is like meimk mentioned, the carburetor throttle valve is opening earlier than it should…likely causing the non fire and backfire issues. maybe the governor throttle arm being adjusted would remedy that. not sure. thanks for all the help tho folks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car