lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2023, 07:58 PM   #1
Djones583
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 Club Car DS backfire

Hello, I’m new here and anxious to learn and maybe even contribute on these threads. I was recently gifted a 1998 Club Car DS by my mother. Shortly before passing about 18 months ago he bought from a local shop who, according to him had rebuild the engine and replaced several other major components. This appears to be accurate as the starter, belt and clutch system all looks new.

Since his passing it sat in the basement until recently when I brought it home. It has ran quite well since I’ve had it with a very few sputtering incidents early on I attributed to having sat for so long. It had been running flawless until last week. I drove it from one shed to another (approx half mile) from a cold start. It ran great. I stopped to open the door to the shed and got back in. When I pushed the pedal down it almost sounded like it need to be choked and then it backfired. It came alive again, I ended up having to push it in the shed because it backfired two more times. It seemed like it wanted to run fine after that but I wasn’t chancing it.

My thoughts are

Maybe old fuel?, I topped it off with 93 when I picked it up

Possibly a coil?

Carb need cleaned?

One thing I forgot was a couple of weeks ago while playing golf it became very loud so I took it back to the shed. Turned out it was a blown exhaust manifold gasket (weird I thought). When I had it apart I noticed the head pipe was very white (lean?). The plug I replaced was also very white.

I’m totally new to these thing and would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance!
Djones583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2023, 10:09 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1998 Club Car DS backfire

Take the carb apart. Clean it real well and blow it out good with compressed air.

Don’t buy an aftermarket $20 Amazon carb. You’re better off cleaning the original

Then drain the tank, fill with fresh fuel and I’d replace the fuel lines and filters as well. Should be good to go
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #3
Djones583
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. Trying this tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
Djones583
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE: I did all the fuel system work today. Fuel looked and smell terrible once I got it pumped out. Changed fuel lines and filters and also cleaned card which was also nasty. I got the system primed and it was running great and I thought all was well. Then it started doing the same thing all over again. When I press the peddle it would turn over slower than usual I think. If I let off the pedal and get back on it, it would run fine. I did notice when it was sitting there turning over it would act as if the battery was drained getting slower and slower. This battery is only about 2 months old but I had it load tested just to rule it out and it’s good. I then went to the starter generator and checked the belt which was right. I did notice it was extremely hot still even after it had been shut down a couple of hours. The exhaust was barely warm.

Also during testing, I must have found a dead spot in it. After starting and stopping several times I started to only get a solenoid click. After manually rotating the crank it began starting again.

The starter generator is really where my knowledge of small engines stops. I never worked on one. Can you rebuild? New brushes? Or just buy new?

This all assuming you guys agree that it’s the S/G.

I think maybe I just didn’t notice it was turning over slower for the last couple of weeks until today.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If the gas smelled really bad, drain the tank and refill with fresh gas.

As for the starter gen, usually a new set of brushes is all they need and they’ll work fine as long as the commutator bars aren’t thrashed
Old 06-02-2023, 10:26 PM   #6
Djones583
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I did drain clean and refill the gas. I have an oem S/G. I’ll research the brushes
Old 06-03-2023, 08:16 AM   #7
Djones583
Not Yet Wild

CSA6797AB8-957E-41B9-8777-6F8D3B1A05BA.jpg

Pulled apart the S/G this morning and the contact surface for the brushes looks pretty worn. Question is, is this salvageable? Can I go ahead do a quick resurface and throw new brushes in?

Thanks.

Brushes were worn out by the way.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #8
Djones583
Not Yet Wild

Decided to go ahead and order a new one. Thanks for your help sir.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #9
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

I would think that a electric motor shop could fix that for you. Don't throw it away.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:53 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah that’s pretty bad.

Save your receipt if you got one of the $100 Amazon or eBay ones. They usually grenade pretty quickly… oem are very expensive but last a very long time.

I’d take yours to a motor shop and see if they think it’s salvageable or not. Com bars look pretty much wiped out
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car