lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2023, 05:50 PM   #1
Tomc9478
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 Par Car Carburetor Cable Connections

Hello. I'm new to forum. I have a 1984 Par Car 4 Wheel Gas Golf cart. I do not have a manual for this year but for an earlier year. The manual is online and the picture quality is poor.
On my cart, I have a choke cable connected to the carburetor but no other cables are connected. I have a throttle cable nearby and another red cable (maybe a governor cable?) but neither are connected and how to connect them is not intuitive.
Does anyone have a decent picture of how the cables are routed and connected to the carburetor? Any assistance appreciated.
Tomc9478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 Par Car Carburetor Cable Connections

Just hook the throttle to the throttle arm you don’t that other cable if’s hooked up to the governor but if that’s the oil injection cable then you need to hook it up to arm there should be 2 holes for this on the arm or you can scrap the oil injection and run premix witch I would recommend
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:41 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

A poster or two a year asks for pics for these connections but it really isn't possible unless you take off the air tank and manifold to do it. Even then getting a pic is difficult to achieve.

The 84s didn't have oil injection quite yet so you don't have to worry about that.

Hooking up these carbs isn't nearly as difficult has people think it is. The only thing you have to consider is that a carb's throttle is sprung so that it has to be pulled closed by the accelerator cable. Put another way, if a carb is at rest with no cables attached to it, it is at full throttle. When you attach the accelerator cable you must pull the carb's accelerator lever forward which will close it.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:02 PM   #4
Tomc9478
Not Yet Wild

Hi Lochlin:
I must have somethings missing on my cart. Getting a photo was pretty easy, just removed the intake tube. I have attached my image here. I clamped onto the throttle arm with pliers and turned it clockwise. From your comments, this is now closed position. I can see two holes to the right side and there is one on the left near where the pliers are affixed.
From your description, I need to attach the throttle cable to the right most hole? I don't see a place to mount the cable and once I attach it, it will just swing counterclockwise.
Also note the red governor cable??? The end is gone and all that is there is the frayed end. Again, no place to attach that I can discern. Does it go to the left side of the throttle arm?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1367.jpg (175.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, still, those pics are tough as I can still can't see where the heck the connections are. Let's take care of the easy stuff first...

Attached is the proper manual for your cart. Due to size limitations, it's in two sections. The carb sections is in GC2.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GC1.pdf (9.96 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf GC2.pdf (17.78 MB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:43 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Regarding the throttle, you are correct in that yours is now off. From the factory, the throttle cable would go through one of the holes on the lever, make a 180 degree bend, then come back through the other hole. This would create a hook that would hold the throttle closed. However, over time and a lot of bending of that cable, it would break. Cable ends like these on each side of the lever normally does the trick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable Stops.jpg (36.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The governor cable is going to be a challenge for me. These carts had Walbro carbs from the factory. However, I use Mikuni carbs on my carts as I like those a little better. They were used on mid-80s EZ Go carts and don't have the governor connection.

That said, the governor isn't needed at all on these carts and can just be deleted altogether? I think you can just ignore it at this point.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:46 AM   #8
Tomc9478
Not Yet Wild

Lochlin: Sorry for the delayed reply but I haven't had much time to get back into working on this project. I do want to thank you for the manual. The quality of the pdf is much better than the manual that I have. There are still some items that don't come through but it is more helpful than my other manual.
Regarding the cable connections, it seems that it is not going to be as easy to connect as I had hoped. I will have to see what I can rig up for figure out or order to get it connected and back into running shape.
And thanks for the info on the governor. I will research this more and probably end up following your recommendations.
Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar