lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2023, 01:09 PM   #11
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Recommended upgrade path for 36V Ezgo

does yours look like this one?https://www.ebay.com/itm/224644286735
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2023, 03:15 PM   #12
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Here’s a picture of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0846.jpeg (98.7 KB, 0 views)
mbbeaubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:23 PM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Interesting.. That is a 1206.. Or at least that’s what it looks like. Plus 25864 is the part number for a 1206. 5 pin series.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #14
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Why are so many people focusing on the lithium option? Even if my controller can run at 48V, is going to a 48V lithium going to get me to my goal of 25 mph with 4 people by itself?

I like the 36V series or sepex options more. Will these be faster then 48V lithium with all other components stock? If so, then I’m better off and have only spent 2K. Then in a few years when I need to replace batteries, then I can choose to go 48V lithium or I can stick with 36V or I can even do 48V lead. The only thing I’ve given up with the 36V series or sepex option is the ability to do an AC motor. Is an AC motor required to get the performance I want?

My goal isn’t max possible speed, I just want to be able to keep up with 25 mph traffic hauling 4 adults around for a reasonable distance (10 miles). What’s the optimal way to get that level of performance given what I have?
Old 05-19-2023, 06:44 AM   #15
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Reason I focus on lithium knowing how it changed how my cart behaved is as follows:

-Less voltage sag so better acceleration performance especially on hills and terrain that is not pavement.

-Less cart weight. You are going to be hauling around 4 people. The average American Adult Male weights 200lbs and the average American Adult Female weights 170lbs (I said average here...) so if you can take your carts power source weight down from 400lbs to under 180lbs that is huge for the amount of weight that needs to be moved to get to your target speed.

-Lastly your FLA batteries are already on the older side of things and you very well could stick to 36v make the upgrades you had discussed for around $2000 then in the short term need to replace your power source. Voltage is speed so you are giving up speed by wanting to stay at 36v rather then make the jump to 48v. Is it enough speed to make your target of 25mph with 4 people on the cart...probably not.

End of the day its your cart your money and you will spend it where you want to get to the goal you are looking to get to. Will FLA batteries at 36v with a different motor get you to your goal? Probably. Will it get you there and let you do it reliably regardless of driving conditions...there is some debate to be had there if you want to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbeaubi View Post
Why are so many people focusing on the lithium option? Even if my controller can run at 48V, is going to a 48V lithium going to get me to my goal of 25 mph with 4 people by itself?

I like the 36V series or sepex options more. Will these be faster then 48V lithium with all other components stock? If so, then I’m better off and have only spent 2K. Then in a few years when I need to replace batteries, then I can choose to go 48V lithium or I can stick with 36V or I can even do 48V lead. The only thing I’ve given up with the 36V series or sepex option is the ability to do an AC motor. Is an AC motor required to get the performance I want?

My goal isn’t max possible speed, I just want to be able to keep up with 25 mph traffic hauling 4 adults around for a reasonable distance (10 miles). What’s the optimal way to get that level of performance given what I have?
Old 05-19-2023, 08:53 AM   #16
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

I hear you on the idea that my 3 year old 36V pack is a little old and might go bad, but if I go straight to 48V lithium I could burn out my weird little controller in a few weeks and then I might as well do the full AC upgrade.

I thought about it overnight, and I realized that if I was already at 48V I would for sure upgrade straight to AC. It's the best tech and I can do it for only a little bit more then upgrading to series or sepex so it's a no brainer.

So then for me, the smart thing seems to be get to 48V as cheaply as possible. Yes I'm taking a risk and my 3 year old pack could die in a month, but my 3 year old pack could also last another 2 or 3 years.

I've done some more research and pricing and I think if I bought a used 48V charger and cheap 6V Costco batteries I could get to 48V for $450. If someone offered me a 48V battery pack for $450 that would last 2 years, I'd take that deal, so I think this is a smart decision. If I'm wrong and my pack dies in less then a year I'll let you all know so you can make fun of me.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #17
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure you get the same capacity batteries as your current ones or it will create issues. Degradation of your current batteries may or may not also create imbalance issues with the new batteries being added to get to 48v.

I do have a 48v pack worth of FLA that I took out of my cart that are 2 years old. But I am sure you are no where near minnesota lol

Quote:
I hear you on the idea that my 3 year old 36V pack is a little old and might go bad, but if I go straight to 48V lithium I could burn out my weird little controller in a few weeks and then I might as well do the full AC upgrade.

I thought about it overnight, and I realized that if I was already at 48V I would for sure upgrade straight to AC. It's the best tech and I can do it for only a little bit more then upgrading to series or sepex so it's a no brainer.

So then for me, the smart thing seems to be get to 48V as cheaply as possible. Yes I'm taking a risk and my 3 year old pack could die in a month, but my 3 year old pack could also last another 2 or 3 years.

I've done some more research and pricing and I think if I bought a used 48V charger and cheap 6V Costco batteries I could get to 48V for $450. If someone offered me a 48V battery pack for $450 that would last 2 years, I'd take that deal, so I think this is a smart decision. If I'm wrong and my pack dies in less then a year I'll let you all know so you can make fun of me.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Assuming 48v will increase speed 25 to 30%. Stock 12-14 mph speed goes to 15-18 mph. Cost $450 you stated plus a solenoid if your controller can hang with 48v. Not a bad bang for the buck. But not enough speed if you want to roll with the traffic. A Sepex conversion will give you 22-23mph or 25mph on 22" tires on 36 volts. Assuming good batteries and properly inflated tires. You get the speed you want with push button F&R and regen brake control without changing batteries or charger until later.
Going to 48v will bring the cart up to the 27-18 mph range.
See the TXT48 Conversion with the 36/48v option linked above.
Just more food for thought.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #19
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Assuming 48v will increase speed 25 to 30%. Stock 12-14 mph speed goes to 15-18 mph. Cost $450 you stated plus a solenoid if your controller can hang with 48v. Not a bad bang for the buck. But not enough speed if you want to roll with the traffic. A Sepex conversion will give you 22-23mph or 25mph on 22" tires on 36 volts. Assuming good batteries and properly inflated tires. You get the speed you want with push button F&R and regen brake control without changing batteries or charger until later.
Going to 48v will bring the cart up to the 27-18 mph range.
See the TXT48 Conversion with the 36/48v option linked above.
Just more food for thought.
Would there be any advantage to a Sepex upgrade vs AC?
Old 05-19-2023, 04:12 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Would there be any advantage to a Sepex upgrade vs AC?
DC Sepex makes more torque AC makes more speed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!