lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2023, 09:47 PM   #1
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

Default Mixing batteries to get to 48V

I have a 36V ezgo txt series cart. It has a decent 3 year old Trojan 6/6V set of batteries that I don’t want to scrap yet. I’m thinking about adding either a single 12V battery or 2 cheap non-Trojan 6V batteries to get to 48V. Is this advisable?
mbbeaubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2023, 07:06 AM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Mixing batteries to get to 48V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbeaubi View Post
I have a 36V ezgo txt series cart. It has a decent 3 year old Trojan 6/6V set of batteries that I don’t want to scrap yet. I’m thinking about adding either a single 12V battery or 2 cheap non-Trojan 6V batteries to get to 48V. Is this advisable?
You will want to add a battery thats comparable in amp hours to what you have as the pack is only as good as the weakest battery... Otherwise it will work. brands and even age dont matter, battery chemistry, size, voltage and condition do. You can have 1 year old batteries that are trash because of poor treatment and or being discharged too far.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:25 AM   #3
mbbeaubi
Not Yet Wild

I'm looking at the 6V interstate batteries from Costco.

210 AMPs for the Costco battery vs 225 APMs for the trojan. But the Costco battery is $100 vs $200 for the Trojan.

Is it a terrible idea to buy 2 of the Costco batteries and mix them with my existing 3 year old 6 trojan batteries? I'd be happy if I could get 2 years out of this setup, then I would replace the whole thing and go lithium.
mbbeaubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:18 AM   #4
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbeaubi View Post
I'm looking at the 6V interstate batteries from Costco.

210 AMPs for the Costco battery vs 225 APMs for the trojan. But the Costco battery is $100 vs $200 for the Trojan.

Is it a terrible idea to buy 2 of the Costco batteries and mix them with my existing 3 year old 6 trojan batteries? I'd be happy if I could get 2 years out of this setup, then I would replace the whole thing and go lithium.
I would imagine with degradation of your current 3 year old batteries they would be very similar in capacity.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I think you would be fine since you aren't expecting more than a couple of years out of them. Seems you understand that the old batteries will degrade the new ones faster than normal and are OK with that. You will love the lithium!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!