lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2023, 09:15 PM   #11
saamember4880
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cuyuna 440cc in Yamaha G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
With the speeds you are talking I hope you are planning some SERIOUS suspension mods
Brakes and suspension are definitely in the future. I'm still focused on the drivetrain though. After that's figured out, I'll simply have to practice some self-control until I can get to the suspension and brakes. Nothing like a challenge! Lol
saamember4880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2023, 09:48 AM   #12
saamember4880
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Cool Re: Cuyuna 440cc in Yamaha G2

I came up with another solution so I may still be able to use my gearing idea. Depends on if I can get a long enough belt. The idea now is to clock the setup back to about the 2:00 position so the secondary clutch can sit behind the exhaust. It'll mean cutting some more of the body out and sticking it through a bit. Not exactly the "stock look" but it's more stock than a smokestack - and a hell of a lot cheaper!
Old 05-06-2023, 04:01 PM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you change the orientation of the transaxle, don't expect it to last very long. The oiling of the parts is engineered to have it sitting in the stock location. By clocking the transaxle you will effectively change the oiling flow pattern, which will allow the parts to wear prematurely.

As far as speed and rpm with the stock gears, I had the same transaxle, with a machined stock secondary, a 250 Enticer top end G1 engine that revved to 6000 rpm, I hit a top speed of 42.5 mph with 22" rear tires. Let me tell you.....IT WAS A SCARY RIDE!!! The golf cart front suspension is not made for high speeds. I would recommend a Jakes LT front end with brakes or grafting a sport atv front end like a 400ex or Raptor 660 front end, or similar, with disk brakes and all. I ended up going the atv suspension route, and it was the best mod I've ever made to a cart. Handled perfectly, on and off road. Stopped on a dime.

I've never driven a golf cart faster than that, I don't ever care to. Very dangerous.

The engine you are planning to use is a mid to upper range hp engine. It will want to run fast, it won't like to go slow and idle. It will go slow, it just won't like it. With that said, if you can get the clutching dialed in and the exhaust figured out....it will be a nice powerplant. A little on the loud side, but it will make some power.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:30 PM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My 440 cc twin cylinder sled engine goes from a 1200 rpm idle all the way up to the 6500 rpm red line. I run it all the time at low rpms with no issues. The power band does increase from 3000 rpms or so but there are no issues running it slower. I just need to finish some wiring issues and my sled powered HD cart should be ready for the 2023 season. She has been a fun ride since I built her in 2016. P.S. As I stated earlier there were all kinds of naysayers telling all sorts of things about how the sled engine would act. 7 years later none turned out to be true. P.P.S. I see the USA built cuyuna is rated in the low 40 hp range like the 440 cc suzuki unit in my cart.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #15
saamember4880
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

[QUOTE=slonomo;1937981]If you change the orientation of the transaxle, don't expect it to last very long. The oiling of the parts is engineered to have it sitting in the stock location. By clocking the transaxle you will effectively change the oiling flow pattern, which will allow the parts to wear prematurely.

I don't plan on clocking the transaxle itself, just the chaincase I'm creating to allow more liberties in messing with gear ratios. All I plan on doing with the transaxle is to add a sprocket.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:23 AM   #16
saamember4880
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
My 440 cc twin cylinder sled engine goes from a 1200 rpm idle all the way up to the 6500 rpm red line. I run it all the time at low rpms with no issues. The power band does increase from 3000 rpms or so but there are no issues running it slower.
My biggest concern is in getting the CVT clutches to engage at around 1500 and achieve full 1:1 (roughly) engagement at 3500 or so. I don't have any idea how to adjust these things and I've been having a difficult time obtaining my "YouTube degree" in the specific type of clutches I have (1977 Scorpion Whip 440). I'm apprehensive about doing the ol' "try and see" method as unless I can find a sprocket that matches the transaxle's input spline, I'm going to have to weld a sprocket onto it, making further modifications much more difficult and time-consuming. I don't suppose anybody knows the specs for this style clutch? Also does anybody happen to know any details of the input shaft/where to get a sprocket that'll slide on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scorpion Chaincase Assembled.jpg (259.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2023, 10:42 AM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I haven't seen those type of clutches before. One note I had to find the weakest spring on my primary to get the engagement down for a smooth take off. On the secondary the stock HD worked fine. I found the sled clutch springs and other parts on Dennis Kirk's site. I see Dennis Kirk lists direct fit replacement clutches for the 440 cc whip. One being the comet 102C which I use and the other the comet 94C duster. I have to say the 102C with the pink spring swapped in works perfectly BUT not a cheap option. You might want to see if you can find a comet 102C for sale on E Bay as a lot of sleds used this unit.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:53 AM   #18
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Ive seen snowmobile engines stuffed into a g1 where they can get the engine to run backwards.. never seen it done on a g2 though.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:56 AM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I think Rifter might have done a 440 in a G something 4 stroke a while back. I found it and bumped it. It was an EZGO Medalist and not a yamaha.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #20
saamember4880
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It appears to be a Scorpion TK 440 Power Thrust but all I have to go on so far is this Ebay post that appears to be the same one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255720158076
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Thrust Drive Clutch.jpg (50.4 KB, 0 views)

Tags
exhaust, gear ratio, input shaft, sprocket, starter generator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!