lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2023, 11:43 AM   #21
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha 48v charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny73 View Post
Yes it is the original blue faced charger. It is very heavy. And it has been very reliable. Hence why I am asking if there is any checks I could do, or if it’s just time to invest in a new one. The coincidence of replacing the plug has me wondering.
Have you checked the 3a fuse on the cart? You said you had to 1st plug in the charger it would recognize the cart then you plug in the charger. This tells me the charger does some low level hand shake with the cart saying hey lets go. If that fuse was blown I would assume the cart would not complete that handshake.

https://www.cunninghamgolfcar.com/fc...amaha-G19E.pdf
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2023, 11:49 AM   #22
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

G19 doesn’t have a trigger wire. First thing I would check is to make sure you see pack voltage at the charger port itself. Then check the charger plug itself. If you can open up the charger itself you can check for pack voltage coming in on the cord.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:39 PM   #23
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
G19 doesn’t have a trigger wire. First thing I would check is to make sure you see pack voltage at the charger port itself. Then check the charger plug itself. If you can open up the charger itself you can check for pack voltage coming in on the cord.
just so we are all on the same page he replace the plug on the output side not on the ac power cord.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:45 PM   #24
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yep. That is why I said to check for pack voltage coming in.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:01 PM   #25
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’m not aware of a fuse but I built this cart a long time ago. I did notice last night looking at the backside of the charge port on the cart, there were 4 wires. I vaguely remember a fuse when I installed the new alltrax controller and 13.5hp motor I got from Plowman’s. A fuseable link may be one of those wires. A red, black, bare mesh wire probably for ground and then another wire. I think this will be where I start my investigation before cracking open the charger.
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #26
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Check the 2 main lugs in the charger port for pack voltage.
Old 04-28-2023, 03:38 PM   #27
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Great. Its a great charger.

When you plug the DC cable in to the car, the car's batteries power the self diagnostics on the charger. The lights on the charger will flash in sequence.
If the self test doesn't happen, it is an indication of either low voltage or no voltage coming from the DC cord.
Hopefully you are comfortable with a volt meter. You will need to remove the charger cover and check the battery pack voltage at the end of the DC cable.
It must be at least 36 volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Check the 2 main lugs in the charger port for pack voltage.
This is also correct.

The charging circuit is not fused on the car side.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:02 PM   #28
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If your batteries are 7 years old it's time to replace them. We usually see them failing around the 5-6 year mark on average, although anecdotal record holders with 10-year old batteries are possible. We recently replaced some in an RXV (that was still going) who's batteries were as old as the cart--2010. In 2023.

How low is 'low?' if they drop below 45V the charger won't even bloody attempt to try. No lights, nothin'.

Although the MAC was a decent charger, the timer boards (the part with all the LEDs) is unobtainium, sadly.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:01 PM   #29
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

If the cart runs, there is enough power to tunr the charger on.

No lights turning on the charger, tells me, the charger is not seeing battery voltage.
Most common issue on that cart is the wire burning on the inside at the charger fuse. Removing the cover of the charger and checking voltage with a meter is the best place to start.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:36 PM   #30
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I have seen many cars that still 'run' (most at a walking pace) when they're well-below the charge limit of the charger. "running" can still happen with a Yamaha at 45V. It won't go very far or fast, but it can still technically 'run'.

With a two-wire plug, it's hard to reverse it and not know it. If you plugged it in with the polarity reversed into the car, you'll be greeted with tons of sparks, a melted receptacle, possibly letting the smoke out of the controller and/or charger.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha