lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
Cd0din
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default FLA to Lit direction. (Navitas AC)

Hey Gents,

So happy to have found this forum. What a great community! Thanks ahead of time for your views and thoughts! I’m looking for direction on a FLA to Lit conversion.

Running a 2018 CC Tempo, 6” lift, 23” tires, Navitas TAC2 – AC 600amp controller and motor. Right at 3yrs in, my FLAs are only lasting a handful of miles. We’re in a mostly flat, rural neighborhood. We do a good amount of mild off-roading (stay WAY away from that Texas clay!). Looking to drop a conversation that will offer comparable performance (35mph) and much more overall battery life. Reading through other posts and recommendations I think I'm close, but wanted to get any thoughts before I pull the trigger on a conversion.

• Volts – Thinking 48v to save costs (and not kill myself), but not totally out on the 72v. Not needing much more range or speed than I have with the FLAs (I do have some expectation of gains with the cost of the upgrade though). Is the current demand to overall life ratio worth an extra $1k? Any other major factors?
• Pretty obvious to go Single pack vs multiple 12v
• Ah is where I’m a little stuck. I think I’m looking for around 100Ah. Thoughts?
• Brand – I see Eco and BB are mostly recommended here. Is that mainly due to incumbency and post purchase support? Are they better batteries? I’m curious why Dakota isn’t getting more notice with the 11yr warranty?
• Of course I’ll take any other considerations/recommendations from you fine folks.

Thanks!
Cd0din is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: FLA to Lit direction. (Navitas AC)

11 year warranty means nothing if it's not supported well. ECO have proven time and time again that stand by their products. Not saying Dakota don't, just saying that ECO do.

With an AC drive, you really need to look at Wh as opposed to Ah. A 72v 5kWh battery will perform the same as a 48v 5kWh battery. The magic happens in the AC controller. It outputs the same no matter what the input voltage is. A higher voltage will also have a lower current demand, so you can get away with lower continuous current.

A 48v 100Ah will be comparable to a 72v 65Ah battery. So do the cost comparison on that. Lower amps means lower losses, so that's a consideration as well.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:08 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As Pat mentioned, you can't use Ah as your guideline on batteries of different voltages. But multiply V * Ah to get Watt hours.

These two are pretty close to each other:
48V * 100Ah = 4800Wh
72V * 65Ah = 4680Wh

The gold standard is the 48v100Ah. So any battery coming up just a little shy of 5,000Wh should do well for you. Doesn't matter if it's nominal 48v or 72v or 51.8v. My battery (when new) was between 4,737Wh and 4,869Wh (depending if it's 3.6v or 3.7v nominal cells, can't remember). My battery is still holding out well and I should get a several (hopefully many) more years on it before it's too tired for cart use.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:00 PM   #4
Cd0din
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
11 year warranty means nothing if it's not supported well. ECO have proven time and time again that stand by their products. Not saying Dakota don't, just saying that ECO do.

With an AC drive, you really need to look at Wh as opposed to Ah. A 72v 5kWh battery will perform the same as a 48v 5kWh battery. The magic happens in the AC controller. It outputs the same no matter what the input voltage is. A higher voltage will also have a lower current demand, so you can get away with lower continuous current.

A 48v 100Ah will be comparable to a 72v 65Ah battery. So do the cost comparison on that. Lower amps means lower losses, so that's a consideration as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
As Pat mentioned, you can't use Ah as your guideline on batteries of different voltages. But multiply V * Ah to get Watt hours.

These two are pretty close to each other:
48V * 100Ah = 4800Wh
72V * 65Ah = 4680Wh

The gold standard is the 48v100Ah. So any battery coming up just a little shy of 5,000Wh should do well for you. Doesn't matter if it's nominal 48v or 72v or 51.8v. My battery (when new) was between 4,737Wh and 4,869Wh (depending if it's 3.6v or 3.7v nominal cells, can't remember). My battery is still holding out well and I should get a several (hopefully many) more years on it before it's too tired for cart use.

Thanks Pat and bronson! Appreciate the direction!

After little research, I'll take the general advice of the pros here and go Eco 51V 105Ah. The premium cost is a little harder to swallow. But you can't underestimate quality and service.

I wanted to utilize the site sponsors but see that ScottyB only has a TXT option. Any other direction to support the community?
Old 04-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

@ScottyB is an Eco Battery dealer, if you contact him he should be able to get what you need.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pat is an expert in this field. I agree with his conclusion. Eco has a great product and has a proven outstanding customer service record.
Use the Eco 51v 105ah Combo pkg for the best results.
There is a battery pkg option for 09+up Precedent and Tempo listing on our website.
Eco sets the minimum price on their batteries.
We sell at that minimum and offer free shipping which is a $250-350 value.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
Cd0din
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Trigger pulled! (Scotty the order comes through as Zach Smith)

Thanks Gents, your altruism and expertise is much appreciated by many! Looking forward to the benefits of the conversion!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium