lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2023, 10:44 PM   #1
golf4dj
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default ECO Battery - Gen1 vs Gen2

Long story short - I have 2 precedents, one is a 2005 that I have had for a few years and a 2012 that I just bought from my neighbor a few months ago.

Last fall I purchased an 72ah ECO Battery that is installed in my 2005 - its been flawless and I couldn't be happier. I assume this is the 1st generation as no on/off button, old style meter with shunt connected to the battery.

I recently purchased the 72ah ECO Battery for my new to me 2012 cart. Installed it but haven't driven it much till this past weekend - it died with battery showing 53% charged (another story - I will chalk this up to the fact that I hadn't charged it in a few weeks so likely the meter was off). Anyway, this newer battery I assume is the Gen 2 battery as it has an on/off button and different meter.

Question - I am going to sell one of the carts, is there any reason I should consider keeping the Gen 2 battery over the Gen 1 or does it just not really matter?
golf4dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2023, 07:23 AM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: ECO Battery - Gen1 vs Gen2

The differences we are aware of is the supposedly improved meter and on off switch..
The meter should not be reading off from sitting nor should the battery self discharge (like FLA). I believe they have a shunt meter which should keep pretty accurate track of state of charge once you fully discharge and recharge the battery while connected to calibrate it.

Do you have some sort of load on the cart while sitting like an improperly wired reducer that draws current all the time instead of being switched?

something to keep in mind with the shunt meters.. the charging current also has to go through them as well as discharge otherwise they wont work.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:46 AM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'd give them a call directly; most likely you will get to chat with Dallas (great guy) and will get answers quickly and accurately
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:54 AM   #4
FL3TCH L1V3S
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4dj View Post
Long story short - I have 2 precedents, one is a 2005 that I have had for a few years and a 2012 that I just bought from my neighbor a few months ago.

Last fall I purchased an 72ah ECO Battery that is installed in my 2005 - its been flawless and I couldn't be happier. I assume this is the 1st generation as no on/off button, old style meter with shunt connected to the battery.

I recently purchased the 72ah ECO Battery for my new to me 2012 cart. Installed it but haven't driven it much till this past weekend - it died with battery showing 53% charged (another story - I will chalk this up to the fact that I hadn't charged it in a few weeks so likely the meter was off). Anyway, this newer battery I assume is the Gen 2 battery as it has an on/off button and different meter.

Question - I am going to sell one of the carts, is there any reason I should consider keeping the Gen 2 battery over the Gen 1 or does it just not really matter?
Like another poster said, get in touch with Eco Battery. Based on my understanding there’s an issue with the firmware on some of the Gen 2 batteries that can cause this shutdown issue. They sent me a tablet and updated the firmware on my Gen 2. Unfortunately, my issue was beyond the firmware update and they needed to do a warranty replacement.

Their customer service is dynamite and they’ll get you taken care of. Just reach out.
FL3TCH L1V3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL3TCH L1V3S View Post
Like another poster said, get in touch with Eco Battery. Based on my understanding there’s an issue with the firmware on some of the Gen 2 batteries that can cause this shutdown issue. They sent me a tablet and updated the firmware on my Gen 2. Unfortunately, my issue was beyond the firmware update and they needed to do a warranty replacement.

Their customer service is dynamite and they’ll get you taken care of. Just reach out.
And hopefully now that this cat is out of the bag there wont be all sorts of customers who may or may not be having an issue clamoring all at once to get their firmware update regardless. Because they read about it here.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not sure of timeframe but the ECO 105AH that I helped install a couple months ago in an RXV has been working flawlessly. We need dates to know when FW was updated.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #7
tyrone shoelaces
Getting Wild

I've owned both the Gen 1 and 2 48v105ah
The Gen 1 was warranted hence getting the 2
The Gen 2 specs are much better
ex: 300amp draw for 30seconds vs 200 for the Gen 1
improved BMS I guess
tyrone shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
FL3TCH L1V3S
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
And hopefully now that this cat is out of the bag there wont be all sorts of customers who may or may not be having an issue clamoring all at once to get their firmware update regardless. Because they read about it here.
The issue has been discussed here by others on several occasions. Not really letting the cat out of the bag.
FL3TCH L1V3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL3TCH L1V3S View Post
The issue has been discussed here by others on several occasions. Not really letting the cat out of the bag.
Your probably right. I likely misread it but I only remember reading of issues on the first gen packs they were going to release new firmware to address along with adding bluetooth capability and an on off switch in the app.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:59 AM   #10
rkrider1999
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I installed my Gen2 48v 105aH ECO battery July. 8, 2022, and I suppose it was some of the first Gen2 versions. I have not had any issues with it. Runs perfectly. I would assume they may have made some firmware updates since then, but if they did, I'm not sure what they could have changed to make it work better.
rkrider1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car