lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2023, 10:39 AM   #1
NinjaPixie
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Tried to add converter...almost set my cart on fire

Have a 2010 Precedent (6x8v electric) we picked up used a few months ago. I had some time over the weekend and finally worked on the wiring.

I did my research on the best way to set up for wiring lights and other future electrical. Decided to put in a 48v to 12v reducer and a small fuse block. Wired light harness to fuse block. Wired pos/neg of fuse block to output of converter. (Planned to route through a switch later to turn accessories on/off, so it's not draining battery if we don't need the lights.) Wired input of converter to first and last pos/neg on batteries. As soon as I made the 2nd connection to the battery...POP! Converter started smoking! And connector welded itself to the battery terminal, and I almost couldn't get it off. I definitely fried it, but fortunately it looks like it didn't do any other damage.

So any ideas what I might have done wrong?
For starters, my dumb self didn't verify the wiring with a voltmeter before connecting to power. Mistake #1.
I'm wondering if the order of connecting to the battery matters? I had pos and neg of battery bank both disconnected. Reconnected neg converter and neg battery cable. Then pos converter cable, and was going to put pos battery cable on top of the converter, but didn't make it that far.
NinjaPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Tried to add converter...almost set my cart on fire

Something was obviously wrong. What converter did you use? Also the main battery wires should go on first but that didn’t cause this.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:56 AM   #3
Rick2280
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

hard to say what went wrong, if you could post pics. it will help. are you Shure it was a 48volt input reducer? if so, sounds like a wiring mix-up. is it a 4wire or 5wire reducer?
Rick2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:58 AM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPixie View Post
Have a 2010 Precedent (6x8v electric) we picked up used a few months ago. I had some time over the weekend and finally worked on the wiring.

I did my research on the best way to set up for wiring lights and other future electrical. Decided to put in a 48v to 12v reducer and a small fuse block. Wired light harness to fuse block. Wired pos/neg of fuse block to output of converter. (Planned to route through a switch later to turn accessories on/off, so it's not draining battery if we don't need the lights.) Wired input of converter to first and last pos/neg on batteries. As soon as I made the 2nd connection to the battery...POP! Converter started smoking! And connector welded itself to the battery terminal, and I almost couldn't get it off. I definitely fried it, but fortunately it looks like it didn't do any other damage.

So any ideas what I might have done wrong?
For starters, my dumb self didn't verify the wiring with a voltmeter before connecting to power. Mistake #1.
I'm wondering if the order of connecting to the battery matters? I had pos and neg of battery bank both disconnected. Reconnected neg converter and neg battery cable. Then pos converter cable, and was going to put pos battery cable on top of the converter, but didn't make it that far.
can you post a link to the converter you used and tell us what color and size wires you used for battery power? It sounds like something possibly was wired incorrectly. some of these can be a bit confusing with thicker wires and thinner wires and such.
I know they usually spark and slightly weld pretty bad when connected to a battery for the first time due to the capacitors in the reducer.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #5
NinjaPixie
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

This is the converter I used (although they don't have the same option I bought listed anymore):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

48v to 12v
30A
Step down/buck converter
I'd have to check the label to see what the wattage was, but I think it was 360W
4-wire reducer, no built-in fuse

Fortunately, it was a cheap one (~$30). I don't mind buying a little bit nicer one if that's the problem, but I'd hate to have a repeat and blow a $60 or $100 converter.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #6
NinjaPixie
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
can you post a link to the converter you used and tell us what color and size wires you used for battery power? It sounds like something possibly was wired incorrectly. some of these can be a bit confusing with thicker wires and thinner wires and such.
I know they usually spark and slightly weld pretty bad when connected to a battery for the first time due to the capacitors in the reducer.
I already had a spool of 2-conductor cable, so I used that and split it down the middle when needed. Black on one side, red on the other. Both sides 12 AWG stranded copper. I can't find a link, but I'll take a closer look and get pictures later.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
This is the converter I used (although they don't have the same option I bought listed anymore):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

48v to 12v
30A
Step down/buck converter
I'd have to check the label to see what the wattage was, but I think it was 360W
4-wire reducer, no built-in fuse

Fortunately, it was a cheap one (~$30). I don't mind buying a little bit nicer one if that's the problem, but I'd hate to have a repeat and blow a $60 or $100 converter.
I have the 20a version of this that has the built in fuse .. it did scare the crap out of me with a spark and it welded to the bolt I connected it too.. later I read that I should have used a resister to precharge it. I ended up swapping in a larger different model reducer so this one sits on my shelf for a future g9 build ill be doing.

Did it really smoke? I am asking because I dont see how as its heavily potted in epoxy and solid aluminum.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:39 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
I already had a spool of 2-conductor cable, so I used that and split it down the middle when needed. Black on one side, red on the other. Both sides 12 AWG stranded copper. I can't find a link, but I'll take a closer look and get pictures later.
The black negatives are likely different and be sure to make sure you dont have them swapped around.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:27 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

The black wires are common to each other as the ground. Reversing them would not matter.

The red must go to 48 volt positive....\

The yellow must go to 12 volt positive./

Reversing these two will destroy the converter. I believe this is what happened inadvertently.

Install a switch in the red wire back to pack positive terminal. Install a fuse in the yellow wire going to accessory block positive if not porvided.

Switching off the red wire will prevent the reducer from staying powered continuously. A simple 10 amp toggle switch will work fine and will prevent sparks when connecting it. A spark will still be there but will be contained inside the switch and not readily visible.

Eventually, maybe years later, the switch may fail open and will need to be replaced.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:31 PM   #10
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
The black negatives are likely different and be sure to make sure you dont have them swapped around.
This. The two black wires in the middle next to each other without and labeling on them other then in the paperwork can get alot of people. These two have to be connected SEPERATEDLY and not together and the correct one has to be connected to the correct place.

One is the input (-48V from pack) the other is the output (-12V to your 12v accessories.)

If they are combined or flip flopped you can have what happened occur.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car