lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
doo dah
Gone Wild

Default 2 Quick 670 Swap Questions

I am swapping out my old kawasaki for the 670 and will have a build thread once I start but have a couple questions before I bring the cart home to start.

Will the stock starter/generator charge the battery if it is spinning CCW? I will only have the 670 starter using power from the battery, everything else will be on a 2nd battery set up so I might be able to just use the 670 charging but if I can incorporate the factory generator it would be nice to having charging capacity for both.

I am able to get GPS speeds of 30 with the Kawasaki engine and 25" tires. Does that speed indicate that the gear set has been changed or is that normal for the size tires and governor adjusted to the limit? Trying to determine if I should change the gear set or if it possibly already has 8:1 in it.

Thanks!!
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2022, 08:11 AM   #2
doo dah
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2 Quick 670 Swap Questions

Would this question be better asked in EZGO gas? I have searched this page and www with no luck finding anything, there are some references to the starter/generator in general but not brand specific.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not sure on the starter/gen, but you could spin it and put a voltmeter on it and see. I think they are bi-directional. Some alternators aren't but generators I think will go either direction. Could be wrong.

As far as gearing. With 25" tires most carts will go 25-30 mph with stock gearing and a governor mod. Your speed with the 670 will be the same, it will just get there much much quicker lol. At that speed the engine will likely be in the 4500 rpm range, give or take a few hundo. So if you want to slow the engine down (recommended) for cruising at 30, then 8:1 is what you want. The 670 will have plenty of torque to pull those gears no problem.

Just watch your top speed, carts are very dangerous and deadly at speeds like that! I highly recommend good hydraulic front brakes. Rear only brakes at 40 mph will lock up and the rear end will swap around on you, causing a high risk of rollover. Also high speeds with stock steering can get a little squirrelly and dangerous, I recommend a double wishbone suspension in the front with a rack and pinion steering and coil overs.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
doo dah
Gone Wild

Thanks! I have a 2013 TXT so I'll be running reverse as forward and concerned that the engine may overrev without 8:1 or 6:1 gears.

I have Jakes LT and the front disc brakes so all good there, no plans to go 40 mph but if I can get 30mph cruise with a happy RPM I'd like it.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Running in reverse with the 670 governed your speed is not going to be anywhere near 30.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:20 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ok so you have one of those. Yeah with reverse at forward you will be geared really low. I don't know the ratio on that one without looking it up, but usually reverse gear is much lower, which means a higher number ratio, like 17:1 or something crazy. You may want to go 6:1. And speed wise you will have to figure your final drive ratio which uses the clutch diameters, tire diameter, and gear ratio in the calculation. There is a "speed calculator" on the forum.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
doo dah
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies, I'll order a set of 6:1 and see how it works.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #8
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was told directly from HF tech that in stock form, the 670cc engine produces 7amps max, at full speed
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:01 AM   #9
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZ45 View Post
I was told directly from HF tech that in stock form, the 670cc engine produces 7amps max, at full speed
I ended up putting in a Noco 2 bank marine charger that is connected to the starting battery and a second battery that runs everything else. It was alot less work and money than putting in an alternator. I have noticed when running the cart that volts rise a bit, not like a generator but I have seen it go up about .3v Not sure what that means in amps but it is charging a little bit.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #10
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Ok so you have one of those. Yeah with reverse at forward you will be geared really low. I don't know the ratio on that one without looking it up, but usually reverse gear is much lower, which means a higher number ratio, like 17:1 or something crazy. You may want to go 6:1. And speed wise you will have to figure your final drive ratio which uses the clutch diameters, tire diameter, and gear ratio in the calculation. There is a "speed calculator" on the forum.
You'll see it in my build thread but I added 8:1 and the cart goes into gear normally, f is forward and r is reverse. Runs really good with the combination of 22hp, 25" tires, and 8:1 gears.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!