lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2022, 03:43 AM   #1
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

Default Star EV carts are trash made with cheap metal. AVOID

I got this before I knew what I know now about golf carts.
Motor is decent and axle is fine.

But the cart is falling apart.

These POS carts are made with an all metal junk metal frame.

Trash pedal assembly.

I have the entire cart in pieces rebuilding it only because the body is decent and I have a set of batteries and the motor is pretty good.

The cart has rusted apart. The main structures all have to be rebuilt.

Ive already rebuilt the rear assembly for the bumper and spring hangers.

The front will be a nightmare. ITS COMPLICATED

All connected and the pedal assembly welds into the frame. AWEFUL idea.

The cart was a 2014 and looks like its been rusting away in a field for 20 years.

Once I finish rebuilding the front structure Ill spray it all with vehicle undercoating to prevent further rust.

You need to tear the body off these things at least every couple years and hose it all down to get the hiding dirt out or it will just eat it up.

The body being all metal is idiotic. Ive refurbished a club car and it took me like a few days. Just a aluminum frame and plastic. Never had to take more than half the body off.

Seriously this is serious trash

OH and then all the parts are 5x what club car cost if you can find them.

What bulb sockets does it use? Mine were all missing. I think I found the headlights and tail lights. Need the smaller blinker bulb socket.

I could go on for days how much I hate this thing.

Some parts look like they took the normal sensor and put a different plug on it.

The throttle sensor is like $400??? WHAT??
Its like 30 for a club car and the pedal assembly just drops in.

This thing is open to the elements too. Club car is all enclosed in the plastic belly and not directed to water and dirt.

Seriously IDK who would ever buy one of these things.

If there is a used one for sale AVOID or tell them you will give them the value of the batteries if new and the motor if good like $500 tops cause its HELL ON EARTH fixing these things. PICS to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_18-50-39.jpg (206.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_18-49-14.jpg (216.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_18-49-10.jpg (131.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_18-49-02.jpg (160.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_18-50-30.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
hardhouseinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2022, 04:27 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Star EV carts are trash made with cheap metal. AVOID

The early star carts were pretty much identical copies of an ezgo TXT so maybe an ezgo frame would be a better option if yours is that type. You can obviously weld, so you could probably do it fairly easily.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

Never worked on an ezgo
just this one and my Club Car Precedent which is 1000% superior

Im in Guam and have a hard time getting anything so I have to find or make most things that wont fit in a flat rate box

the price of their simple parts if you know what you are looking for in insane

its like they built cars to fall apart and sell parts at 5x retail other club car parts

like the motor brushes ive seen retail for $190 some places

that is insane

club car motor brushes and entire setup was like $40
I even found the entire motor from a china warehouse for $500
its insanity

Just NOT worth it. The club car is soooo easy to work on and easy to find
cheaper parts.

This one was 2014 and IDK what it was made with but Ive pounded half of it away in rust beating off the rear bumper.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #4
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

Some more pics
ill try to archive the entire restoration if I can
the rear is mostly done just going to brush off the axle and coat it with vehicle undercoating to prevent rust and put something on the leaf springs maybe just grease them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_22-09-42.jpg (112.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_22-10-30.jpg (129.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_22-10-19.jpg (95.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_22-10-12.jpg (258.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_22-10-06.jpg (170.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

entire wiring harness is decent. only a couple parts were cut.
have to find light bulb pigtails for all the lights. so far I think I have everything but the blinkers which are a smaller bulb size.

Anyone know which? I found a 1157 socket that works for the tail lights and ended up just buying the star headlight. so silly

the pigtail plugs are pretty non standard too its like they went out of their way to make sure you cant find the same parts and have to order from them unless you can scour ebay for hours and end up with one that fits.

Still not sure if my tail light socket will plug in that I maybe found.

the small blinker socket I cant find one small enough yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2022-07-26_22-14-27.jpg (181.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2022, 11:55 PM   #6
mlj427
Gone Wild

Wow, that cart must have been under salt water at some point. I had a Ezgo that was just as rusted as this one (it was a Huricanne cart from Florida). My 2010 Star classic has been outside from day one and barely has any surface rust. I would suggest trying a rust converter that you use before you paint it then undercoat it. Good luck.
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:08 AM   #7
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

Yah after seeing these I would never buy anything but a club car.
The design is far superior with only large aluminum tube frame and plastic belly.

Most of the bad metal Im cutting out and replacing. Ive finished the rear end now Im just going to clean up the axle and give the motor a once over to make sure the brushes and springs are ok and nothing is stuck or grinding itself away like my club car motor did.

The front end Ill need to cut out its almost rusted throgh in parts and Ill fab up a main support. Front is going to take some serious work

What I THINK happend was these fools ran it down the beach all the time and never took it apart to wash down ever or spray down after
I think the sand gets between metal on metal or plastic and just rots away.

The guy before just painted over rust and its a disaster so Im cutting and replacing anything that is crusty.

Im having to rebuild some wiring for the lights as the sockets these Star idiots use dont exist like a common plug.

No rush on this I want it done RIGHT and solid then I will probably sell it once I know the front end wont fall off.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:05 AM   #8
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

So star parts are a scam

They are selling parts identical for other parts for other carts like CCar for 5x the cost

I tore down my motor to check the bearing and brushes and the motor is almost identical to a clubcar 3.5hp motor. it may be the same thing but I think the shaft is shorter since the axle bolts in with less IDK what to call it. The input shaft doesnt go as deep. Its seriusly an identical motor the same bearing and speed sensor and brush box.
They are trying to charge $200 for brushes OMFG
You can buy the same club car ones its an identical shaft and box just WOW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32522698319...0AAOSw6uRipdF5

The brushes in the motor do not look like that either.
They are identical to a club car 3.5hp motor that I just rebuilt
These clowns make me wana puke.

They just put different plugs on the sensor like WTF just to make you buy their STUPID priced parts? Dont fall for it. you can change out the plug if your sensor goes bad and just use the CCar one its the same. Will try to get some pics but this is hysterical.
They are charging insane money for an idential sensor and magnet that costs like $20 just wow.
This BS from these clowns would make me never ever consider their BS ever if you have any sense. Club Car is superior just go club car. parts are all over ebay for cheap.
This is the exact same sensor they just change the socket plug. I looked at them both next to each other are identical. They are both going to the same Curtis model controller. It all reads the same thing. WHAT A JOKE
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (286.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I understand your pain, but DUDE, you bought a chicom cart. What did you expect?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:37 AM   #10
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
I understand your pain, but DUDE, you bought a chicom cart. What did you expect?
what is chicom?
I had zero knowledge of this when I got it
I knew nothing about golf carts.
I know enough about everything battery carts now I could run a repair shop.

The whole thing seems like a knockoff brand with specialty plugs everywhere?
Besides the frame you just need to know where to get the cheaper parts and swap stuff out with other common parts. small re-wire necessary but not too bad.

The only think IDK how to replace is the pedal group. Id love to swap in a club car pedal assembly for it and remove all the trash they have there. Would make my life 100x easier replacing the front end

I thought this was a US company?
Is it a made in China run place?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay