lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
doo dah
Gone Wild

Default 670 into 2013 EZGO Build

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought the vtwin and vegas kit. I recently added front discs to the Jakes LT which still needs some adjustment because it doesn't stop like I expected. Could be that a big heavy cart with 25" tires just isn't going to stop on a dime regardless of brake upgrade but I'm going to try some things to improve the plunger travel. I stretched this cart a couple years ago; https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=162087 and now will go under the knife again to put the 670 in. My cart is running and we are using it on the beach this summer so real work and progress likely won't start until August but wanted to get things out there now so I have some reference. I know I'm going to have fun with throttle cable and linkage, choke cable and linkage, and wiring for the limo but all in all things seem simple. I haven't started the engine yet so no carb adjustments have been done, I plan on removing the governor now rather than having to pull the engine later, and I'll likely need to figure out a charging system. Look forward to sharing more pics as I start working on it and hope you all can help me make this a smooth swap!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE287E53-142C-4BB3-B16D-AC92D847A257_1_201_a.jpg (154.3 KB, 0 views)
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 670 into 2013 EZGO Build

I found the 670 a very easy engine to swap in. The throttle linkage that comes on it is actually a nice piece, allows you to just run your cable straight to it if I remember, kind of a universal type setup. I used mine with the stock muffler and air filter and it was fine. I did adjust the carb quite a bit, have to remove the epa caps on the air/fuel screws. I also upgraded the fuel pump with a Briggs unit, big difference, the stock fuel pump was terrible. It reved nicely and had tons of torque in stock form. Keep the revs under 4500 or you might end up with some damage.

As for your brakes, those Jake's units are pretty darn good. They should absolutely stop that cart on a dime. I'm wondering if you have air in the lines? If you don't have full travel on your master cylinder then that's an issue. But once dialed in they should work well, even if the cart is a little heavier than stock.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #3
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I found the 670 a very easy engine to swap in. The throttle linkage that comes on it is actually a nice piece, allows you to just run your cable straight to it if I remember, kind of a universal type setup. I used mine with the stock muffler and air filter and it was fine. I did adjust the carb quite a bit, have to remove the epa caps on the air/fuel screws. I also upgraded the fuel pump with a Briggs unit, big difference, the stock fuel pump was terrible. It reved nicely and had tons of torque in stock form. Keep the revs under 4500 or you might end up with some damage.

As for your brakes, those Jake's units are pretty darn good. They should absolutely stop that cart on a dime. I'm wondering if you have air in the lines? If you don't have full travel on your master cylinder then that's an issue. But once dialed in they should work well, even if the cart is a little heavier than stock.
Thanks, carb and fuel pump are top of the list based on your past posts I have found while researching. I'm leaning towards keeping governor in tact for now as I have a 15yr old that will drive the cart occasionally.

I think it could be air and setup. I'll tackle that when I have the cart home, with the stock engine really don't need them anyway and laying in sand to fix it is not appealing to me lol.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Take some pics!
Old 03-27-2023, 02:31 PM   #5
doo dah
Gone Wild

Well I finally brought it home! I'll takes pics and post over the weekend once I have time to get started. Not going to do anything to the engine aside from the usual plunger removal, zip tie mod, carb adjustment, etc...to help things running consistently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5159.jpg (431.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #6
doo dah
Gone Wild

Got engine on the workbench! Removed the plunger in the fuel switch, replaced the fuel pump with a B&S, and replaced the filter with straight line between the pump and crankcase based off SloNoMo posts. I also added an oil drain extension hopefully making it easier to change the oil once it is in the cart. Carb was super clean and all gaskets and surfaces were in great shape, I'll adjust valve lash later today and start taking the cart apart tomorrow. Can't figure out why pics are all sideways, apologize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5177.jpg (349.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5178.jpg (220.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5179.jpg (244.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2023, 02:41 PM   #7
doo dah
Gone Wild

One thing I noticed in the instruction is VC saying if there is a stronger than stock spring in the driven clutch it needs to come out, has anyone experienced reduced shift out and top speed from that? I am considering going to 8:1 gears so I may have the axle out anyway but I really don't want to take that driven clutch off after 3 years on the coast. I'm sure it would be a real PIA to remove.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #8
doo dah
Gone Wild

Decided to pull the secondary and put the factory spring in it based on the VC recommendation. Got the cart stripped, I am redoing some electrical and moving speakers around so made sense to take it all apart. Also will be putting the ignition switch in the seat pod rather than on the column so made routing wire easier being stripped down too.
I am still struggling with the decision on high speed gears. 25" tires and the 670 like it sits I should get 30mph, which is great but at what rpm. I really don't want it to go 40+mph because I do not have the self control to not run that fast all the time LOL. Cart lives in a beach town where speed limit is pretty much 30-35 everywhere so don't need 40 but I'd like the engine to live in a good rpm range. Other thing is cost, they have tripled in price so I'm looking at close to 500 bucks after shipping and taxes!

Again, sorry for the sideways pics still can't figure out why they are showing up that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5184.jpg (389.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5188.jpg (357.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5187.jpg (395.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 70215224949__6805E483-FE8F-4D50-B0E6-549A834ADF57.jpg (294.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:18 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The thing about speeds above 25 mph is that if the steering and front suspension isn't perfect, they usually are scary to drive fast and have lots of movement. The other thing is brakes. Stopping at 25 is easy, 40 is a different animal. If you have front disk brakes, great. If not, it can get scary real fast in an emergency.

I like stock gearing and keeping speeds around 25. I did have a cart once that had a really nice handling front suspension with disk brakes and rack and pinion steering that handled fantastic. That cart would have been good to drive 50 plus. But a stockish cart with lift kit? Nah.

That 670 will have plenty of torque if you do decide to go 8:1.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:43 AM   #10
doo dah
Gone Wild

I ended up ordering the 8:1 gears, on the way from cartparts+. I took VC recommendation and swapped the original spring back into the driven clutch, buttoning up some wiring, and moving some speakers while I wait on the gears. Once they are in engine, cradle, and everything else are ready to go in. I removed the plunger for fuel, swapped the fuel pump to a Briggs, and now need to switch the spark plugs but I am leaving the governor in tact just using the zip tie mod to get a couple 100 more rpm out of it. More pics to come and hopefully all goes well, the 670 has run great on the stand and unlike you I haven't found much trash in the carb, heads, etc...so hopefully I got a good one!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!