lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
csixer66
Not Yet Wild

Default Ticking when off the gas pedal

Hello, I have a 2015 Ez Go TXT with the 13.5 Kawasaki. I just got the cart and it was owned by a very old couple bought brand new and always garage kept.

I notice when I let off the gas pedal and the engine RPM's decline. The engine has some very loud ticking. Ive heard similar on friends carts. But not as loud and not at all on some older carts. You can duplicate in Nuetral as well.

I adjust the valves (Well within spec, set rhem to 6 thousands anyway) and did a full tune up. Still there. Is this sound normal? I posted a video of it.

Engine is quiet as a mouse otherwise. Its driving me crazy. Thank you for any help on this.

Okay so it won't let me upload a video. I can Pm it to whoever wants to hear it.
csixer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Ticking when off the gas pedal

Pull the drive belt off and try it again, I personally always pull the return spring out of the drive clutch to allow the clutch to engage smoother and not slam when rev'd up.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I was going to say something in the clutch. As crash said, pull the belt off, this will eliminate the clutch as an issue, or confirm it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
csixer66
Not Yet Wild

Will do that. Ill try that and report back. I am hearing it right in the head area. But sound travels. Thanks for the help. Ill see what happens with the belt off.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #5
csixer66
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Pull the drive belt off and try it again, I personally always pull the return spring out of the drive clutch to allow the clutch to engage smoother and not slam when rev'd up.
I would love to know how you do this as It will rev up and want to do a wheelie if you dont feather the throttle when taking off.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Remove the 6 bolts holding the clutch bell or cover on, no need to remove the clutch.
There will be a little tension on it from the spring, remove the spring and reinstall the cover, discard the spring.......
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
csixer66
Not Yet Wild

Well a little update. Pulled the belt and same noise. Its a fast ticking that is on tune with engine RPM and does it going down hills qs well when engine is off but still spinning from the driven clutch. It may be a normal noise but its bugging me. Wish I could post the video
Old 06-02-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by csixer66 View Post
Well a little update. Pulled the belt and same noise. Its a fast ticking that is on tune with engine RPM and does it going down hills qs well when engine is off but still spinning from the driven clutch. It may be a normal noise but its bugging me. Wish I could post the video
Valvetrain chatter is common with OHV engines, but it should not be very loud. If you are able, try and find someone with a similar cart and listen to theirs. If yours is considerably louder, I'd be looking at the rocker arms and valve tips for wear. Also recheck your valve lash, see if it changed, they can do that if not set properly.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
csixer66
Not Yet Wild

I have posted a video of the sound. I have checked the valve lash twice. It is spot on. This cart is very low hour. I cant see a major issue with the engine. I have listened to other carts. Some have it but not as loud. Some don't have the sound at all. The ones that don't have it at all are the older mal maintenance carts that were run into the ground. Which is shocking to me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip (9.17 MB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #10
csixer66
Not Yet Wild

Any thoughts since I got to post video?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO