lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
Yellamo1
Not Yet Wild

Default RecPro Light Kit Plug Question

Installing a RecPro Deluxe Lighting package.

Followed the directions and connected everything, including a 48v-12v reducer. The problem is once everything is plugged into each other what do I do with the original 9-pin connectors?.

Do I simply plug the original 9 pin harnesses together? Or should that be plugged into a different harness. For some reason that doesn't seem correct.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-1.jpg (189.5 KB, 0 views)
Yellamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: RecPro Light Kit Plug Question

That is correct but you also need to connect those gray pigtail wires with the red bullet connectors.

That carries the switched +48v from Key Switch to your converter trigger wire.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
Yellamo1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is correct but you also need to connect those gray pigtail wires with the red bullet connectors.

That carries the switched +48v from Key Switch to your converter trigger wire.
Thanks for the info.

One more question. When I connect the blue wire to the positive it sparks. Is that normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201007_111117.jpg (255.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes it is, that is because there are capacitors inside the converter that get charged when you first connect the converter to power.

I like to use an old incandescent light bulb to provide a slow charge and eliminate the spark (and it is better for the capacitors as well).

Stand the light bulb (approximate 60w) with its base touching the battery post and touch the converter positive wire on the threaded portion of the bulb.

A 60w light bulb will quickly reach 240 ohms resistance and charge the capacitors without a spark.

After holding the converter positive wire to the light bulb for about 10 seconds you can place the wire on the battery post without sparks.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
Yellamo1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes it is, that is because there are capacitors inside the converter that get charged when you first connect the converter to power.

I like to use an old incandescent light bulb to provide a slow charge and eliminate the spark (and it is better for the capacitors as well).

Stand the light bulb (approximate 60w) with its base touching the battery post and touch the converter positive wire on the threaded portion of the bulb.

A 60w light bulb will quickly reach 240 ohms resistance and charge the capacitors without a spark.

After holding the converter positive wire to the light bulb for about 10 seconds you can place the wire on the battery post without sparks.

You are the MAN!!!

One final question. I wired the brake lights but they do not light up qhen brake is engaged. Coudl you let me know if you see anything incorrect.

All other lighting is working.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201007_113849.jpg (246.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is not right (You need to use the orange and red brake harness wires with bullet connectors), here is a diagram on how to connect the brake wires to your switch/timer/breaker:

Another issue is that I did not see the brake relay in your dash wiring picture.

Since Your converter +12v output comes ON/OFF with the key switch, the relay is not necessary but you need to complete the connection that the relay would normally complete.

There 4 unused quick connectors near you turn signal flasher in the picture you posted.

The two small 3/16" quick connectors are for the relay coil and will not be used.

You need to jump the two 1/4" quick connectors together to complete the +12v power to the brake pedal wires.

You can use a regular automotive blade fuse (5 amps or so) to connect the two connectors together or cut and splice the wires together.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:57 PM   #7
Pupi305
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi all!

I am installing this exact same light kit (instructions are HORRIBLE) I connected it to the main battery pack + and main battery pack - as it says it can range from 12-48V. I have everything working with the exception of the brake lights. I did not notice the grey wire with bullet connector (not sure what that does) but will connect it tomorrow if it is there.

Secondly, there are 4 loose wires with female spades blue, blue/white, orange, and believe green/white. I also noticed a relay but no where in the instructions does it ahow the relay nor what male spade on the relay to connect it to.

Your help will be GREATLY appreciate as I have burned too many brain cells on this kit already. And yes the brake switch and time delay have been connected already and that is definitely connected correctly.
Pupi305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:08 PM   #8
Pupi305
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

*BUMP*

Anyone knows that the grey wire with female bullet connector does on the factory harness behind the dash? My light kit comes with a grey wire with male bullet commector to connect to the wire on the original harness however, the factory harness on the cart has been butchered and doesn’t have that wire. Wondering if that ia a positive or negative wire and what voltage.
Pupi305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car