lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default EZGO stretched limo help

I have a neighbor with a dope stretched limo that needs batteries and they want a little more performance out of it. I tested the batteries today and they are definitely wasted, all date codes J2 also. Below is pics of all I know. So I’m the future (like 5 years when kids are done college) they want to go lithium and hot rod it. But for now they want to get a small lift, new batteries and something to give a little better performance. And yes this has working light bar, air horns and sirens. They got it from a retired fire Chief, it’s the real deal.

I plan on selling my basically brand new batteries and 2ga cables to them for $500 which is the deal of the day. Only problem is my pack is 48 volt. Anyone know if the controller they have will handle 48v? If not they can still upgrade to an Alltrax for less than what new Trojans would cost. I’m also going to make them 2ga cables throughout. If an Alltrax is needed, is it an XTC? I know NOTHING about series carts.

Also they want a small lift to get a 20” tire underneath. Are lifts even available for these things?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO stretched limo help

Also, anyone have a rough idea how much welding wire I will need to make them all new high voltage cables in the whole cart?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Being a 36v cart it won't handle your 48v pack. It'll probably fry the controller/solenoid. At a minimum it'd set an overvolt condition and not run.

I don't know how much voltage it takes to smoke a 36v controller, but I'm sure someone on this forum does...

I know some people have asked about running 42v on a stock 36v controller. You can search for that thread if you like.

If your pack is made of eight 6v batteries they can use some of the batteries to build a 36v pack.

Typically, if you want to go from 36v to either 42v or 48v you'll need new batteries and cables, of course, as well as controller, solenoid and charger. IDK if the FNR switch will handle the higher voltage or not.

Also, the power converter that takes 36v and creates 13.8v may not be compatible with a higher voltage pack, you'd have to Google that model to see what the input voltage range is.

Good Luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need about 8 miles of cable to run the 4 leads up to the rotary F&R and back to the motor

His best solution would be Alltrax SR controller/ SW202 reversing contactor/Precedent style F&R
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The controller is a Curtis 1204/5 and won't handle 48V. The Alltrax controllers for series drive carts is the SR family.

As for how much welding cable I don't know, but there are four cables the go from the F/R switch to the controller and motor near the rear of cart, so it is going to be several feet longer then the 23', or so, needed for Medalist and TXT series drive carts. Several PCX95x owners have installed a reversing contactor in the vicinity of the controller/motor to eliminate the long cables to the F/R switch. Also makes shifting direction easier and eliminates most of the issues with a F/R switch.

I'm not sure is a lift is needed for 20" tall tires. You only gain 1" in the tire's radius and it looks like you have that much room in the picture.

The voltage reducer only puts out 15A at 12V, so it isn't running many of the 12V accessories. The pictures show the battery pack being tapped for 12V. The air horn is an amp hog, so a separate 12V accessory battery might be needed. Also, check local laws on the red light bar. May no longer be legal now that it is owned by a private citizen.

As for speed/performance. Stock speed is 12MPH on level ground with stock (18") tires. Going to 20" tall tires will up the speed to about 13.3MPH, but will reduce torque where rubber meets road by 10%.

Going to 48V will up the speed to about 17.5MPH on 20" tires and increase torque by 33.3% for net torque increase of about 23% after torque loss of taller tires is subtracted.

Here are a couple of manuals that may be useful.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks. I need to make sure they are onboard with the conversion. Since it’s more involved than I originally thought. Seems like the smart way to go though.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #7
AlexWV
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

New PCX 956 owner here, so sorry for resurrecting some of these old PCX threads, but this cart is AWESOME! I'm leaning towards bus themed for mine, but may end up just making it look like more retro/antique. Mine definitely needs painted...love the bright color on this one.
AlexWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO