lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
jwhsr65
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo rxv will not go

I AM WORKING ON A 2009 EZGO RXV THAT WILL NOT GO TURN ON THE KEY AND THE SOLENOID CLICKS AND THAT IS IT . IT WILL CLICK WITHIN A FEW SECONDS OF THE KEY TURNING ON . I INSTALLED A NEW SOLENOID SAME THING WE REPLACED THE ROTARY SWITCH ON THE GO PEDAL NO CHANGE ALL 4 WIRES GOING TO THE ROTARY SWITCH SHOW 38 VOLTS IS THIS A PROBLEM IT HAS NEW BATTERIES WE HAVE A SMALL ENGINE SHOP BUT THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT AN ELECTRIC CART CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY POINTERS YOU CAN CALL IF YOU LIKE
THANKS
JOE HOLLAND

J. Holland Enterprises jhollandent@att.net 270-274-4079
jwhsr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
magnmac
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ezgo rxv will not go

Well I have just discovered in my new cart that the solenoid should not click until you press the accelerator. Mine was clicking as the key was turned to F or R as the pedal was already depressed; it was stuck. Did you try to pull the pedal back all the way first? See my thread below.
magnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhsr65 View Post
I AM WORKING ON A 2009 EZGO RXV THAT WILL NOT GO TURN ON THE KEY AND THE SOLENOID CLICKS AND THAT IS IT . IT WILL CLICK WITHIN A FEW SECONDS OF THE KEY TURNING ON . I INSTALLED A NEW SOLENOID SAME THING WE REPLACED THE ROTARY SWITCH ON THE GO PEDAL NO CHANGE ALL 4 WIRES GOING TO THE ROTARY SWITCH SHOW 38 VOLTS IS THIS A PROBLEM IT HAS NEW BATTERIES WE HAVE A SMALL ENGINE SHOP BUT THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT AN ELECTRIC CART CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY POINTERS YOU CAN CALL IF YOU LIKE
THANKS
JOE HOLLAND

J. Holland Enterprises jhollandent@att.net 270-274-4079
Hey there Joe

With the second click, that should be the motor brake test. Your controller must not be passing the power on test. The solenoid test is just one of many tests in an RXV. It would help greatly if you could find someone with an RXV handheld nearby to run diagnostics. I think you're near Louisville KY based on the phone number. I have the equipment required to perform diagnostics on your cart, but you're so far away from me. I'm in the southeastern corner of TN.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are the tests Bob is talking about.

Understanding the Power-up Sequence
The car will perform the following checks during the first second of initial key - on.
•Electric brake check – Controller tries to rotate the motor ¼ turn in both directions.
•Reverse alarm check – Controller sounds the alarm for 100ms.
•Charger inhibit check – Controller checks the charge receptacle for connection to the charger.
•Throttle switch check – Throttle switch must be open to pass the start up test.
•Throttle position sensor – Controller checks the TPS for 0% throttle.
•Throttle operation check – Controller checks the TPS for the correct open and closed range.
The car will not run if the controller detects a problem with any of the circuits above.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Here are the tests Bob is talking about.

Understanding the Power-up Sequence
The car will perform the following checks during the first second of initial key - on.
•Electric brake check – Controller tries to rotate the motor ¼ turn in both directions.
•Reverse alarm check – Controller sounds the alarm for 100ms.
•Charger inhibit check – Controller checks the charge receptacle for connection to the charger.
•Throttle switch check – Throttle switch must be open to pass the start up test.
•Throttle position sensor – Controller checks the TPS for 0% throttle.
•Throttle operation check – Controller checks the TPS for the correct open and closed range.
The car will not run if the controller detects a problem with any of the circuits above.
Very well said. Also, after the throttle tests, identical tests are done for the brake pedal.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a summary of the RXV power up test.
Quote:
The RXV golf carts are some of the most sophisticated carts in existence. One of the things that many people don't know about with the RXV is that they have what is called a "power-up sequence." During this sequence a number of checks are made, and if any of them fail the vehicle will not run.

Here is the list of things the RXV self-checks for:

Electric brake - it will attempt to rock the motor a 1/4 turn both ways.

Park brake check - it will engage and then disengage the electric brake to check parking brake function.

Reverse alarm check - it will beep the reverse buzzer. (Yes this means if you remove or disconnect the reverse buzzer on an RXV the cart will fail to run.)

Charger inhibit check - Checks to make sure the charger is not currently plugged into the cart.

Throttle switch check - Also called HPD or high pedal disable. Accelerator must not be pressed or the cart will not run.

Throttle operation check - The cart makes sure the pedal registers both fully closed and fully open voltages correctly.

Any of these checks not passing will cause the cart to not run. Unfortunately, not even a handheld scanner can tell you which condition failed. I will give you a list of the common reasons I have seen for RXV's to fail the checks:

Bad charger receptacle port: Makes the cart think it's charging when it's not. Sometimes even a wet receptacle on a recently washed cart will trigger this.

Disconnected or removed reverse buzzer, or a buzzer full of water.

Accelerator is remaining partially depressed due to debris, mud, or some other factor preventing the pedal from returning fully. You can catch this one by reaching down and pulling the accelerator pedal all the way towards the seat and then switching on the cart. If it runs when it previously did not, very possibly something is causing the pedal to get stuck.

Loose battery connections. Especially on the RXV's with four twelve volt batteries, the rear battery tends to have a bad connection on the driver's side post. Check all the battery cables.

The aforementioned faulty solenoid. Inspect and replace. You can usually see an indicator of a bad solenoid because of a clear difference in color between the main posts, or even black marks or other signs of scorching.

The connector under the cupholders being loose or missing or damaged. Underneath the center of the dash there is a big white nine pin connector. Make sure it's not wet or damaged, and it is securely plugged in. Can cause carts to fail to run.

Faulty run/tow switch. When a run/tow switch starts to get weak or corroded it can cause failures to run because the vehicle essentially thinks it is still in TOW mode. Check the switch for signs of corrosion, damage, or loose wires.

The local shops where I am ask customers to make sure the pedals are fully up and the tow switch is in run before they come to get the cart. Also to check the fuse on the blue wire coming out of the charge receptacle. Cart won't run if it gets wet.

The electrically activated mechanical parking brake on the end of the motor is also a common cause of the cart failing to run.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
jwhsr65
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone is there a way to check all of this stuff without the hand held diagnostics tool
Old 02-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
jwhsr65
Not Yet Wild

I do not think it is doing any of these test the only sound i here is the solenoid click
Old 02-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The Danaher troubleshooting guide is on this site. It assumes you have the handheld diagnostic tool, but, it gives you tons of tests you can perform with a standard volt meter.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
iamegarry@googlemail.com
Not Yet Wild

Really don’t know if this will be helpful but my ezgo rxv would not move the motor brake was stuck on but I’ve found a way to operate it. So I get in switch it on and push the throttle very very little down I mean nearly just rest your foot on it really only about half an inch and wait the motor brake disengages and the cart starts to move and then I can press the throttle properly I’ve been operating it like this for weeks now hope it helps
iamegarry@googlemail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO