lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

Default Hard Starting 2004 TXT runs great otherwise

My 2004 TXT starts very hard when cold, especially if it has been setting a few days. It usually takes about 20 seconds or more until it hits and then it sputters and coughs for the first 100 feet or so then runs perfect from then on. Doesn't need the choke again. I took carb apart and cleaned it and made sure it is getting full choke. It is hard to diagnose because it only does it when stone cold. I thought the bowl nut or drain plug gaskets may have been weeping out the gas but I can't see it. I used a 2 stroke mixing syringe to fill the carb with gas through the line after it sat for 3 days before I started it and it made no difference, so probably more complicated than that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
JeffHWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2016, 05:16 AM   #2
Orlando
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hard Starting 2004 TXT runs great otherwise

I have the same problem and havent figured it out
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:35 AM   #3
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Have you adjusted the timing on motor? The stock gas motors are recommend to have the timing done once a year.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Here is the link to the gas tech section for reference.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-gas-tech/
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I think I have fixed it. Will know for sure if it ever stops raining. I adjusted the valves on it and found the center two didn't have enough lash. Set them to 0.005" which is a thousandth more than spec and it started right up. If it is truly that sensitive , which it appears it is I'll sacrifice one thousands lift for reliability. Found this guide which was pretty helpful: h t t p ://nichanks.weebly.com/uploads/3/6/4/7/3647266/valve_clearance_adjustment.pdf. . You'll have to cut and paste take out the spaces as I haven't been a member long enough to post links.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
Orlando
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

So why didnt you set them to spec?
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I was going to mention that I have the same problem and I have found that it directly correlates to valve adjustment. When mine gets a little hard to start, I know its time to adjust the valves. BTW, If you follow the info in the tech section for adjusting them particularly the trick of tightening the adjuster just until it kisses the valve then backing off 1/4 turn, you will find it is almost perfect every time. Saves having to use a feeler gauge.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

0.004" is not much clearance to begin with. They probably were at 0.002-3". If one or two thousandths makes that much difference I'd rather have them just a little loose to buy more time between adjustments, especially since the cart is likely to not be at the house like it is now when it needs it again. I've set valves on engines whene they we're supposedly just set by "professional" mechanics and they probably varied 0.002-3" from valve to valve. You really need to check each valve multiple times to make sure your getting good repeatability on your measurements. If I notice any clatter or difference in how it runs I may snug them up, but I doubt 0.001" will be an issue.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Shouldn't be an issue if you are close. 10mm box wrench and a flat head screwdriver is all you need. Unless you are super picky about it being exact, 1/4 turn out works acceptably.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO