lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
rbkoeberlein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Almost caught my 92 Marathon on fire

My kids (2 11 yr olds and an 8 yr old) and I were out riding around on the cart.
We had travelled about 3 miles from the house are were just heading up a relatively mild hill. My youngest from the front seat says he sees smoke.

I slam on the brakes yell for everyone to get off the cart and I open the seat.

Here is the results:
http://i.imgur.com/9gsS0Zb.jpg

I now ask for your help gentleman.

Below are images of my controller and solenoid?...
can you recommend changes to make (like heavy duty anything.)
I also need to replace those 5 wires...and hopefully not burn them up as well.

anything you got is greatly appreciated... I am learning from all you have shared with me, but I am still in the dark on some subjects.

Controller
http://i.imgur.com/wFKzv0y.jpg

Solenoid
http://i.imgur.com/tF3VaZH.jpg

Last edited by rbkoeberlein; 11-11-2014 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: images too large
rbkoeberlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Almost caught my 92 Marathon on fire

The controller and solenoid look stock. The F&R studs are many colors of got too hot. I'm thinking this has been an on-going problem which came to a head. You should be okay with a HD F&R of the highest quality.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

AND, what you should (NEED) to do is to replace ALL high current cables as a set. and also they should be at least 4 ga.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it is the cart in your avatar, it has taller than stock (18") tires, and weight wise, you had roughly three people on-board, so it was hauling a fairly heavy load.

Definitely a candidate for Scotty's HD F/R switch: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.php
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
rbkoeberlein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If it is the cart in your avatar, it has taller than stock (18") tires, and weight wise, you had roughly three people on-board, so it was hauling a fairly heavy load.

Definitely a candidate for Scotty's HD F/R switch: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.php
Yes! the cart in my avatar is the cart in trouble.

Along with ScottyB's recommended HD switch should I look into his controller combo PKG 485 as well?

if so, will this increase speed and torque?

Here is the current motor I have
http://i.imgur.com/kwGBZBu.jpg

You all are awesome thank you for your quick replies.
rbkoeberlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your motor has about twice the HP of the stock one, so going to a higher amp throughput controller would give you better acceleration and wouldn't slow as much on hills, but the top speed would stay about the same.

Of course, the existing cables and F/R switch probably have unwanted resistance in them, which reduces top speed, so just replacing them might increase the top speed a bit. (Amount of speed gain depends on how bad they are.)

With a series motor, you have to up the pack voltage or change the final drive ratio ( change tire height and/or differential gears), to up the cart's speed. Or change to a motor that is wound for high speed.

It looks like you already have taller than stock tires and a high-speed motor, so upping the pack voltage is about the only other option.

The 485 package (500A controller and Super-Duty solenoid) will run at 48V as well as 36V, so when you have to replace the batteries, going to a 6 x 8V pack would be easy. (You'd just have to get a 48V charger.)

One thing to keep in mind is that the terminals on 8V batteries are both on the same side, so longer interconnecting cables are needed, but the longer cables needed for 8V batteries will work on 6V batteries.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoeberlein View Post
Yes! the cart in my avatar is the cart in trouble.

Along with ScottyB's recommended HD switch should I look into his controller combo PKG 485 as well?
if so, will this increase speed and torque?

Here is the current motor I have
http://i.imgur.com/kwGBZBu.jpg

You all are awesome thank you for your quick replies.
YES, the fact that your cart is lifted, has larger tires, and is carrying more load that originally designed for (rear seat & passengers)....your cart was on borrowed time.

with the stock motor....seeing as your cart is a SERIES drive....you won't get any more speed.....however, the ability to flow more amps by upgrading the drive system you will get a little more torque, at lest it shouldn't slow down as much on hills. if nothing else, your cart will be very reliable and will handle the way you are using your cart without it over heating and possible catching in fire.

looking at my Sig, I have a series cart.....and have the PKG 485, plus I upgraded to the 2 ga. cable set. NOW, I also put in a high speed motor....so that is where I got all my speed.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke,

He is already running a GE D297 motor.

Not quit as high speed as yours, but a lot faster than stock. (Your cart would do about 21 MPH with his motor)
Old 11-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Part of the trouble with this cart is the motor is designed for about 33% more RPMs (speed) than stock. So if you are off road under load (not freewheeling down the street) Than this motor is in hi-amp draw mode all the time. And in that case you may have the wrong motor for the job? But this is how it burned up your switch so completely.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You need highest quality 4ga cables (with ends soldered prefered). A new HD F&R. And a HD solenoid. This is minimum needed with lift/tires/motor you are running (and probably everything needed). The stock solenoid you have now is smallest possible with totally stock system.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO