lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
PeterBott
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2012 ST 2+2 safe speed for engine?

So I got my new 2012 ST 2+2 with a kawasaki 401cc (13hp) engine today. The guys at the shop said they could make an adjustment from the factory setting to make it faster, so of course I said to do it! I tested it on the street last night with GPS and it was doing 28mph with 23" tires. I have since read that it may not be good for the engine parts if the engine is run too fast. I think they just adjusted the throttle linkage or something but I'm not sure. Is this too fast and am I going to damage the engine? I like it being fast but definitely dont want to hurt the cart. anyone have thoughts on this? Does anyone have an idea what they did? it only took a couple minutes.
PeterBott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2012 ST 2+2 safe speed for engine?

They probably adjusted the governor assembly and if it is running 28 they tweeked it pretty good. I am not sure if I would push a new engine that hard for a while so I would personally slow it down a little. I am not sure however how to do that with the newer Kawasaki but I am sure someone will chime in. If not, go back to the dealer and ask, they probably have another cart there they could show you with. That way you can set it where you wish.

My 2 cents
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
PeterBott
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
They probably adjusted the governor assembly and if it is running 28 they tweeked it pretty good. I am not sure if I would push a new engine that hard for a while so I would personally slow it down a little. I am not sure however how to do that with the newer Kawasaki but I am sure someone will chime in. If not, go back to the dealer and ask, they probably have another cart there they could show you with. That way you can set it where you wish.

My 2 cents
Ok, thanks for the response, I'm thinking the same thing. There doesn't seem to be too much info out there on this newer engine. I'd love to hear from anyone who might be able to walk me through the procedure of adjusting the governor assy. Pictures would be awesome too, I've looked all over the Internet, even the Kawasaki mule forums and haven't found anything.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
IDIeselman
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

You will be fine, I have ran mine inexcess of 4000 RPM and beat it like a rented mule since new two years ago. If it makes you feel better don't run it at full throttle for a couple weeks.

Congrats on the new cart!
IDIeselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
PeterBott
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIeselman View Post
You will be fine, I have ran mine inexcess of 4000 RPM and beat it like a rented mule since new two years ago. If it makes you feel better don't run it at full throttle for a couple weeks.

Congrats on the new cart!
Thanks IDIeselman, good to hear that! I'll take it easy for a bit then start abusing it every now and then. When I finish accessorizing it, I'll post a few pics. Sweet looking cart you got there!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
gpshemi
Getting Wild

When I first got my st express home it would only go 9mph (gps). I tweaked it to about 33mph, but decided like you A) it seemed like too much for it and B) it's just plain too flippin' fast. Since it lives mostly in RV resorts, I backed it down to about 28mph. It's been running like that all year. Then again we don't do many high speed runs either. So...ymmv.
gpshemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Man, it's threads like this that make me want to cross over to the gasser side! What year did EZGO switch to the 401cc Kawi?
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My 401 is still running like a champ too, and man will this thing pull a hill. 4 people on board, and straight up the hills we go! It does vibrate some while it's pulling hard. I backed mine down to 22 mph by the Garmin...
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Express in La.
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've been running mine at about 3500 rpm for over a year and no issues... just didnt want to push it too hard.. mostly neighborhood or campground running anyway...
Express in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How loud it this engine at 3500 RPM...say compared to a stock 4 wheeler or something?
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO