lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
H8R71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery specific gravity

I put a new set of 8 volt batteries in my cart back in June. Whenever I check specific gravity after charging and resting, I get a temperature corrected reading of approximately 1.250 in each cell every time. According to my hydrometer, this indicates a "fair" reading. A "good" reading starts a about 1.260 on the hydrometer. Does a reading of 1.250 seem about normal? What do you guys get when you check?
H8R71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery specific gravity

I've never really used a real hydrometer to check batts (only used the ones with the colored beads. Hopefully someone who has will chime in...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

(SG = Specific Gravity) I have done lots, with alot of battery/charger combos. i feel that 1.250 is at the low end of "good". i consider anything between 1.250 and 1.300 good, sure, i would like to see 1.280 or higher. A higher "on-charge voltage" at the end of charge will result in higher SG numbers, so a properly charged US battery should have a little higher number than a Trojan, based on what i have seen. Some OEMs require SG tests for battery warranty, AND individual "on-charge" voltages. I prefer to use individual battery voltages to monitor battery health. To me, these SG tests are somewhat wasted time anyway, so what if a battery cell has a bad individual cell, You gonna cut the battery open and change that specific cell? What benefit did that test provide to that bad battery that wouldn't have been revealed by a quicker voltage test? If you feel the need to test and ensure that you are getting a full charge, go for it. Using SG tests often is overkill in my opinion.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
H8R71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks cg. I always get good bank voltage and balanced voltages between the batts after charging (100% charge or slightly better by the chart I've seen here). I've just been wondering why the SG wasn't matching up. I, like you, always thought voltage was a pretty good indicator of battery condition.
H8R71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

And "voltage under LOAD" an even better one......
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
(SG = Specific Gravity) I have done lots, with alot of battery/charger combos. i feel that 1.250 is at the low end of "good". i consider anything between 1.250 and 1.300 good, sure, i would like to see 1.280 or higher. A higher "on-charge voltage" at the end of charge will result in higher SG numbers, so a properly charged US battery should have a little higher number than a Trojan, based on what i have seen. Some OEMs require SG tests for battery warranty, AND individual "on-charge" voltages. I prefer to use individual battery voltages to monitor battery health. To me, these SG tests are somewhat wasted time anyway, so what if a battery cell has a bad individual cell, You gonna cut the battery open and change that specific cell? What benefit did that test provide to that bad battery that wouldn't have been revealed by a quicker voltage test? If you feel the need to test and ensure that you are getting a full charge, go for it. Using SG tests often is overkill in my opinion.
You're too young to remember when exactly that was done! Batteries had external connectors and tar filled tops. It was common to replace 1 bad cell. Today, it would not be possible.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Bill
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
You're too young to remember when exactly that was done! Batteries had external connectors and tar filled tops. It was common to replace 1 bad cell. Today, it would not be possible.

Kind of related, the tar filled battery's are where the "don't store battery's on a concrete floor, always put them on a board" practice came from. Otherwise the battery would discharge if placed directly on concrete.
Modern "plastic" cases don't require this.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car