lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

Default Very tall waterproof electric beach launcher

So I have a fairly specific use for a cart. I need to launch a full keel sailboat on the beach. If you are not familiar with sailboats this means it sits very, very high on the trailer, the waterline is about 4 feet or so off the ground. The problem is I keep the boat at a beach house where the sand slopes off very gradually, so gradually that I can't get out far enough to launch the boat with a quad before the quad is swimming. So I'm modifying a cart that is waterproof as far as the propulsion, and has a high frame on top that I can steer, drive, sit, etc., from. A majorly jacked up looking cart.

I have decided on using an electric golf cart to do this because it will give me the torque I need. I bought an older electric cart for next to nothing, and I have stripped it down to the bare metal. The cart I bought had already been modified to try and make it look like a model T ford, but had never been finished, but the front end was extended along with the steering column. I'm encasing the motor and gearbox in multiple layers of fiberglass, so it will be completely water tight. I have already stripped all the electronics except the throttle resistance coil. I am running the four leads from the battery up to the top of the frame where they'll connect into the batteries, switches, and throttle. The brake lines are going up top as well, and the whole brake and throttle assembly will be about 6 feet above the cart frame. Obviously the cart will have paddle tires in the rear.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before, has any suggestions, etc. Any tips on making an electric motor completely waterproof? I'll post pictures later. The frame I'll be sitting on will be made out of 2" pvc pipe, to be more rust resistant and light weight. I'm going to do the waterproofing last, after i get the wires all put together and the new deep cycle marine batteries in a box up on the frame. Not sure what type of a cart it is but the motor is a 36 volt yamaha.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
lmswest
Gone Wild

Default Re: Very tall waterproof electric beach launcher

No idea how to keep the motor waterproof. Might want to keep motor up high and dry and run power to rear end through a jackshaft. .
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
patgrim00
Gone Wild

This really sounds cool and I would love to see it but saltwater+electronics = epic rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

I didn't know you had two thread about the same subject so I commented on your other one.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With a boat that large I think your cart won't be heavy enough
for traction.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgrim00 View Post
This really sounds cool and I would love to see it but saltwater+electronics = epic rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would also love to see this project come to fruition so I could see how well it worked. I have to second Patgrims' concern though.....

Saltwater+metal = Lots of rust very fast. We do air conditioning and refrigeration, and some condos right on the water ....we change their condensing units (the part of your air conditioning that sits outside) out every year or two because of the extreme salt environment and uncontrollable accelerated rusting and corroding that comes along with it. I assume that since you live near the ocean you are very aware of this though. Add electronics to this mix, where solid connections and little resistance is important... and you are bound to dump a ton of money into this project (in my opinion).

Now if money isn't an issue and you still must push ahead, I must say that I will be subscribed. lol
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Lets think a little easier here. Why don't you rig up a VERY LONG trailer ball to your quad or your cart. You could have it from 1 foot to 30-40 feet in length. Just use heavy enough steel that it doesn't break or bend on you. Then there is no need to even be in the water. After the boat is out remove the extension and you're done. Make sense?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Or you can get one of these. They're called Swamp Buggies, very popular in the South. Huge competitions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swamp Buggy.jpg (11.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpolarbear View Post
Or you can get one of these. They're called Swamp Buggies, very popular in the South. Huge competitions.
YES. Those things are awesome. Reminds me of when I was a little kid riding around in the swamp on a buggy. You could dog the buggy to death and not kill it, donuts.. deep mud, see over palmettos.

Lots of great memories on a swamp buggy my uncle built w/ a 350 chevy small block in it, bored over .30's with a Holly 750 double pumper.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpolarbear View Post
Lets think a little easier here. Why don't you rig up a VERY LONG trailer ball to your quad or your cart. You could have it from 1 foot to 30-40 feet in length. Just use heavy enough steel that it doesn't break or bend on you. Then there is no need to even be in the water. After the boat is out remove the extension and you're done. Make sense?
i will say thats the best idea imo also i have a buddy with a boom and winch on back of a ezgo that resembles a wrecker..he pulls engines and everything with it..
make a 6 ft boom with 2-3 or more metric and american pieces of square tubeing inside of each other..make it tilt straight up when not in use,then fold down when needed,,then pull out the inside pieces to the length you need..
this would be rather simple actually..like a crane works but by hand

good thinking polar bear i usually come up with the great idea after ive tried something else 3-4 times

this is assuming the tounge weight is not super heavy,or then you will be poppin wheelies..
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts