lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Is Lithium worth the extra dough?

My wife and I are moving to a new home next month which resides on a golf course. Therefore, I've been researching the heck out of golf carts. I've decided to go with a Club Car Onward. The only thing left for me to decide is whether I ought to spend more for a Lithium model or not. I'm hoping that some of you can help me decide.

My local dealer has offered a price of $8,933 for a 2 passenger club car onward (non-lithium). It is outfitted with a few extras. Is it worth spending an extra $3,000 for the lithium version? It just seems like a lot but maybe it would be worth it.

A little about how I'll use it... I live in Florida, so obviously very few hills. I will be using the cart mostly on the course. I'm not really interested in after market modifications or tweaking the cart much, if at all.
Theorangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Is Lithium worth the extra dough?

If you take care of your Lead Acid batteries (non-lithium) by ALWAYS putting them back on charge when your done for the day, keeping the battery terminals clean of corrosion....and they will corrode from the gasses emitted during charging....then you should get a good 7 years out of 'em. A new set of batteries, lead acid, run roughly $1,500 depending upon where your located.

They are making "drop in" lithium batteries today for those who want to switch to lithium without having to "learn" all the lithium "stuff."

I would believe that in 7 years drop in lithium sets will still be there and likely much cheaper than they are today. So.....with my logic, along with your intended use, I'd go with the Lead Acid and pocket the $3,000.

MHO
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Gregt909
Not Yet Wild

I went with the Onward Lithium. After driving it I was hooked. Loads of torque compared to the lead battery. Plus it’s a couple hundred pounds lighter. You will have zero battery maintenance and they are warrantied for 6 years. For me the extra money spent was well worth the added benefits.

Might be a small point but you will also save money on electricity to charge the lithium batteries vs lead batteries. For me it comes to roughly $100-150 per year at 12 cents per kWh.
Gregt909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Around here $3000 will buy 3 sets of top of the line lead acid batteries.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregt909 View Post
I went with the Onward Lithium. After driving it I was hooked. Loads of torque compared to the lead battery. Plus it’s a couple hundred pounds lighter. You will have zero battery maintenance and they are warrantied for 6 years. For me the extra money spent was well worth the added benefits.

Might be a small point but you will also save money on electricity to charge the lithium batteries vs lead batteries. For me it comes to roughly $100-150 per year at 12 cents per kWh.
FWIW, the Onward lithium carts also have a completely different drive system -vs- the non-lithium Onward. The LiOn carts have an AC motor and an accompanying controller, plus it has a lower gear ratio (better acceleration) than the same Onward ordered with FLA batteries. Those things all make for a quicker cart, even with FLA batteries, but the Club Car factory 3.1KW lithium power pack really helps additionally in the acceleration department because of the ability to hold voltage under a load.

I have an Onward that came from the factory with FLA batteries and changed out the Club Car motor and controller to a Navitas 5KW AC system + 5.4KW Lithium pack. The lithium pack definitely perked up acceleration, and I have 23" tires (generally much less quick than smaller tires all things being equal).

If you don't mind a little DIY or aftermarket work, I think if the OP could get a factory credit for the FLA pack (I doubt you can, but the dealer might do it - maybe a $750+ credit back) and get LiOn pack in range of $2K or less, it would be a deal worth considering as you'd be into it for $1.2-1.5k difference (may have to work a credit deal with the dealer for a charger also...).
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I live in Texas, probably about the same temps and terrain as you have in Fl. I also live on a golf course and use my cart primarily to play golf, about three/four times a week most of the year. I use to hate to check and fill the water in all those batteries on my previous cart, a Precedent, especially during the summer when you have to check weekly because of the high temperatures we have that time of year. I wanted a new cart and because Lithium is the way of the future, no maintenance and six year warranty, I decided to go with the Onward Lithium, two seat model. I have had the cart for about four months and have not had a single mechanical issue.

The get up and go is great, even when there is a slight incline. I have an app which clocks speed and my top speed is always around 20 mph which is fine for my purpose. If I lived in a community like the Villages there in FL. where carts are basic transportation over longer distances for not only golf but also church, shopping, movies, etc. I might want a little more speed but I am in a country club so it is golf 100%. The extra $3,000 was not a factor for me because I wanted the newest thing no matter what it cost, but if it is a big factor for you then you should put the pencil to it and sharpen the point real good because it will be close. I think you will find it a little cheaper to go with a lead battery cart as long as you take care of the batteries and they last you at least five years.

My typical round of golf is around 7 miles, give or take depending on how wild I am with the driver that day! Also, it is nearly a mile from my home to the club house. Starting fully charged, after one round I am down to 60% battery capacity, after two rounds I am down to 10% or a little below. I don't like to be below 10% so I usually top it off a couple hours before going out the second day. You should easily get two typical rounds with lead batteries as well.

One thing to remember is that you can set the driving pattern with a lithium cart. I have mine set at the "sport" mode. I think there is a normal and eco mode which makes the cart drive differently. In sport mode you have a bunch of torque available, resulting in quick acceleration to top speed. It is loads of fun to drive, however, there is a draw back if you change speeds a lot, especially when going all out - I would describe it as herky jerky. Because of the regen braking, when you slightly remove pressure on the go pedal you will feel a minor hesitation then quick start up again. I own a twin turbo V8 automobile and it is somewhat similar with what is known as turbo lag in a car. I think the Regen can be modified too and I will talk to my dealer next time I am in the shop to see if I can reduce that herky jerky movement. It is not too bad but noticeable.

Other than the slight herky jerky sensation, I could not be more pleased with the Onward Lithium. What a joy to never have to lift that seat up again and water those batteries!
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

And don't forget. No more acid burns in your clothes.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ugh, my wife isn't going to like you guys. I think you sold me on Lithium. The extra dough isn't what I really wanted with buying a new house right now but I'm sure later, I'll be happy that I did.

Thanks to everyone for all the insight and advice!
Theorangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car