lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
Lakemaster
Not Yet Wild

Default Duromax 713 ring gear/starter issue

I have a new ring gear on the way, via duromax, but I'm truly confused as to what is causing my constant engagement issues with this flywheel. It just doesn't seem like there's anything bad enough to cause grinding but every few starts it grinds horribly.

Am I maybe looking at a starter issue as well? I'm waiting in upward of 3 months for the flywheel. " Thanks duromax " lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211207_120031.jpg (203.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211207_120021.jpg (202.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211207_120041.jpg (198.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211207_120000.jpg (207.9 KB, 0 views)
Lakemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Duromax 713 ring gear/starter issue

Looks like an starter issue to me. You might be asked to reset your starter to factory specs. 3 months??? Does your dealer not have an engine on the shelf that he can pull the flywheel off of? I for one can't wait for a part like that. The Hondas on my feeding and bedding equipment have to run every day, and yes I keep spares.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Lakemaster
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Looks like an starter issue to me. You might be asked to reset your starter to factory specs. 3 months??? Does your dealer not have an engine on the shelf that he can pull the flywheel off of? I for one can't wait for a part like that. The Hondas on my feeding and bedding equipment have to run every day, and yes I keep spares.
I bought the motor on Amazon when they were available. Duromax claims they are high demand.

I can always get a Wilson starter from my work and see if it fixes it. I'm more confused than anything
Old 12-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
Lakemaster
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post

How do I reset the starter? I see no adjustment on something like this bolting pattern
Old 12-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

On closer examination of the damage shown in your pics, your starter appears to not be meshing too deeply so it would seem to be in line. Good. That would make me think about a faulty bendix. The starter is not "throwing" the gear into mesh with enough force/quickly enough. Does the gear on the starter spin out easily when turned by hand? You could also measure to see where it sits when engaged compared to the ring gear.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Lakemaster
Not Yet Wild

Ironically, I ordered a starter because I think there's something wrong with this one. It will grind 2 times before engaging correctly. Got it to do the same thing a few days ago. I'll see what duromax says if that's the culprit.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
Lakemaster
Not Yet Wild

Ok, well, ordered a Honda starter for this motor and it isn't a Honda starter whatsoever....

Soooooo, I took it apart, found a burr on the Bendix, took a cut off wheel and cleaned all the teeth, polished the back and front of the Bendix teeth on an aggressive wire wheel.

The shafts, both twisted portion and guide section were bone dry, everything got grease and worked until smooth like butter.

Jumped the starter on the bench and it sounded, felt, acted like a completely different starter.

Put in the bobcat, cranked it 12 times and didn't grind whatsoever.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:21 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm glad you got it sorted out! This is why equipment manufacturers don't use this stuff.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
Lakemaster
Not Yet Wild

I'm not sure who to blame really. The first few times I started this motor I did it by jumping the trigger wire to the battery. The very very first crank it grinded and then did it every few cranks after that.

Regardless, I'm glad it's resolved for the moment.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #10
Lakemaster
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemaster View Post
I'm not sure who to blame really. The first few times I started this motor I did it by jumping the trigger wire to the battery. The very very first crank it grinded and then did it every few cranks after that.

Regardless, I'm glad it's resolved for the moment.

The starter I ordered that was completely wrong was the gx690 style with the 2 offset mounting holes. I didn't realize the duromax motor takes the square mounted Honda starter. To late as I realized it was wrong after pulling the bobcat apart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!