lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
thaipham25
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default building a cluch

I'm not sure if this thread been used before but i have searched everywhere for a clutch for the vegas cart 460 with all the mods cam flywheel head ported and mill etc. I Bought some 1" pillow and jackshft and 2" sproket. I also have a 1" pulley for a v belt. My question is can i buy a centrifugal belt clutch ( not rated so any hp will work) and install it to the jackshaft and the jackshaft to the axle sprocket which is 8" #40/41 chain. wouldn't that be exactly like a torque converter without spending the big bucks? It works exactly the same or would it be an epic fail. if it would work i will save huge but if it won't please explain. I'm new to this thread and i can't seem to find any torque converter that will work for 25-35hp without spending $250+ for primary alone 250 for sencondary
thaipham25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
geb
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: building a cluch

You would need a tensioner on the belt to keep the slack out but I don't think it would ever work satisfactory.
geb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
thaipham25
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Well my hypotheses is the centrifugal clutch will work normally but the jackshaft with the bigger sprocket will make the axle spin faster ljust as it was a bigger clutch. i suppose a tensioner would work if i can fit the belt on perfectly.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The CVT changes ratio, so it is like a transmission with gears except the gears are infinite within the range of ratios it can provide. A clutch like a gokart uses just slips until it engages, then it is direct drive in one gear ratio. When it slips it wears and gets hot and wastes your energy. They are generally only good for things that stay in the engaged range and only need the slipping to get going at the start.

The CVT sheaves (pulleys) run the belt up and down the inside when they change ratio, so it is like having many different diameter pulleys in one. You go from the engine pulley smallest to large secondary, then the belt moves up the primary and down the secondary to make gearing higher and higher to get top speeds. The engine will stay at peak power until the top ratio only then will it rev higher.

My advice is figure out how to get them cheap used or something, cart will be much nicer with a cvt that is why all the utv and atv are going to them and snowmobiles have used them forever. You will also get the most out of your engine keeping it at the rpm it makes the most power.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The only thing you get with a jackshaft is more gearing selections,due to changing sprockets.A straight belt-drive centrifugal clutch engages at a set rpm and stays engaged,it doesn't offer variable gearing.We tried jackshafting a go-kart years ago when we put 22" tires on the rear,and it was never geared properly, since it either had top-end or low-end,but not both.With a CVT-Drive,you will be much happier.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
thaipham25
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Is it possible to use an atv or utv primary and secondary
clutch on this engine
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
thaipham25
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

I guess i can use it like that until i feel like spending 500+ (more than engine). It probably the best alternative to a torque converter
Old 07-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sure you can buy a polaris atv takeoff clutch, they buy performance ones and put them on ebay all the time. Its a comet type clutch, you may have to do some tuning on it of course but they have been used in carts successfully. You may have to make a cover/guard for it so it does not get soaked in dirt because its open.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps