lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
geb
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Clutch distance needed

I bought a 2001 EZGO Workhorse that previously had the gas engine in it, The motor was removed and MIA when I got the cart. I need to know the distance from center of drive clutch to the center of the driven clutch. I did a search but could not find an answer that was satisfactory. If someone would be so kind as to measure theirs if they have a workhorse with a stock engine. Thanks in advance for any help. For your information, I want to put a clone engine in the cart Thus I want to build the cradle as to put the engine in the same approximate place as the stock engine so I can use the stock belt (I'm not only cheap, my budget is cheap also)
geb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Clutch distance needed

geb,

I highly suggest AGAINST attempting to use your stock belt. The clone engine will have to be brought very far back and angled upwards in an awkward position to make it work and clear the rear axle..This will not only cause oiling issues but also seat clearance issues.

It can be done, but its not ideal.

A 47" or 47.5" belt will get the job done right.
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

That's kinda what I thought, but since I've not done one in that cart I wasn't sure. Most guys set the engine in the middle of the cradle, get a measurement from center of both clutches, then look to see where you are. Most likely you'll find a belt in the 47" range that will work nicely. I recommend a HD cogged belt like the ones that atv's use. Mine ended up being 62" long and it works great.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

That's kinda what I thought, but since I've not done one in that cart I wasn't sure. Most guys set the engine in the middle of the cradle, get a measurement from center of both clutches, then look to see where you are. Most likely you'll find a belt in the 47" range that will work nicely. I recommend a HD cogged belt like the ones that atv's use. Mine ended up being 62" long and it works great.

The biggest issue with setting up the clones are getting clearance between the carb intake and the vertical frame sections. It's also tight in the back if you use a short belt because the cylinder sits at a 45 degree angle. Also, try to get the engine sitting level while in the cart. If you have a lifted cart you might need to either raise the rear of the engine cradle (like I did), or drop the front down. Some of the engine cradles available have this drop built in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4031.jpg (286.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4033.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 drop cradle2.jpg (148.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 drop cradle3.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3984.jpg (301.9 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by geb View Post
I bought a 2001 EZGO Workhorse that previously had the gas engine in it, The motor was removed and MIA when I got the cart. I need to know the distance from center of drive clutch to the center of the driven clutch. I did a search but could not find an answer that was satisfactory. If someone would be so kind as to measure theirs if they have a workhorse with a stock engine. Thanks in advance for any help. For your information, I want to put a clone engine in the cart Thus I want to build the cradle as to put the engine in the same approximate place as the stock engine so I can use the stock belt (I'm not only cheap, my budget is cheap also)
I created and shared this a while back, but here it is again. The math to figure it out is a bit complex.

It should be stickied, but wasn't.

FSTG21 CVT Belt length Calculator
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Nice excel file. Do you have a copy unlocked that us clone guys could use?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
lake surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
geb
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanx guys for the help. I now have at least one thing not to worry about.
geb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's good to think about a belt now though, just not the orig. as mentioned. I used a HD gas belt as it was about 47 inches X wide and could be easily had. The workhorse is 10.5 inches longer than a normal cart so there's lots of room. Hopefully your clone will have a rear oil filter too...... good luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake surfer View Post
Nice excel file. Do you have a copy unlocked that us clone guys could use?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
All the necessary cells are unlocked. You can change the center distance, the diameters and the slack. If I didn't lock it you could easily mess up the math by editing or accidentally moving cells. You just have to open it in actual excel. Or free mobile office. Your phone or ipad will only get you a view of what is already entered.
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstg21 View Post
all the necessary cells are unlocked. You can change the center distance, the diameters and the slack. If i didn't lock it you could easily mess up the math by editing or accidentally moving cells. You just have to open it in actual excel. Or free mobile office. Your phone or ipad will only get you a view of what is already entered.
thank you!
lake surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps