lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

Default HEI conversion questions

So I think I'm gonna do the HEI conversion on my 91 par car in a few weeks. I converted it over to points from the electronic stuff a few years ago because that box was expensive and hard to find. I've already bought most of the materials a long time ago. I've just been to much of a sissy to try it...lol...I THINK the only thing I need to buy is the module at this point. I think its time to make the plunge.

Now that its been on here a while I assume there's been quite a few people that have done it.

How do you like it?
What kind of maintenance is required on it?
What exactly are the advantages/disadvantages?
Would you do it again?
pri_i_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: HEI conversion questions

I have this conversion on two of my carts, both on 1985 Columbia carts. I have had no problems with the conversion on either once since the initial set up was complete. What I mean is that it took a couple of attempts to figure out exactly how big of an external resistor to add into the ignition circuit. Too much resistance means no spark and too little resistance means a burnt module. The modules are cheap though so it was no big deal.

I have had this in place for 5 years or so on the first cart and it is running just as good as day one (knocking on wood).
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I have this conversion on two of my carts, both on 1985 Columbia carts. I have had no problems with the conversion on either once since the initial set up was complete. What I mean is that it took a couple of attempts to figure out exactly how big of an external resistor to add into the ignition circuit. Too much resistance means no spark and too little resistance means a burnt module. The modules are cheap though so it was no big deal.

I have had this in place for 5 years or so on the first cart and it is running just as good as day one (knocking on wood).
Resistance on the coil or in the circuit you build?
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #4
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

I jjst got a new coil and my meter reads 4 ohms on the posts for resistance. I think I may have figured out my other issue. I jjst have to test it tonight. As long as everything is good I think I may start on the HEI upgrade. I just have to figure out which module to get. I think I have all the other parts
Old 07-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

With a 4 ohm coil how do I know what resister to use?
Old 07-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanthonyii View Post
Resistance on the coil or in the circuit you build?
It can be both. If I am remembering correctly, there is a 3.7 ohm resistor on the circuit board. That is somewhat standard and may not be enough. On both of my carts on which this conversion was done it wasn't enough. I could by the brightness of the spark. It looked like lighting. I had a 2.5 ohm resistor coil in the cart already so it was good to go. I added a 1.6 ohm ballast resistor in the cart's ignition circuit and that kicked things back to where spark at least looked normal.

For giggles, I had a 4 ohm resistor laying around that I added in place of the 1.6 one. It shut off spark completely which is actually a good thing as I know I am in the right ballpark with the 1.6.

Understand, generators don't all put out the same amount of current so knowing precisely how much resistance is needed from a cart to cart basis isn't possible.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pri_i_oh View Post
With a 4 ohm coil how do I know what resister to use?
Check out my previous post here as it speaks to my experience.

4 ohms is a lot in a coil. You might be good as is. I would hook everything up and see what you have. If your spark looks to be a bit too much then you can choke it back with a ballast.

Regarding what HEI to get, I wouldn't go crazy with it. Those were made for cars. Obviously, golf carts would be much lighter use. Then again, China stuff it what it is so who knows. I tend to go middle of the road with things.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #8
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

A module out of a mid 70's Chevy truck work?
Old 07-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

What would you suggest for a module?
Old 07-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Lochlin
Gone Wild

To be honest, I just went on Amazon and searched for HEI module. You'll see quite a few there for as cheap as $10 and for as much as $80.

As long as it looks like this it'll work. Obviously, cheaper isn't often better but I wouldn't spend $80 on an HEI for a golf cart either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HEI pic.jpg (37.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar