lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
ParcarMN
Not Yet Wild

Default Key Switch Continuity (89 5 Solenoid Parcar)

I have an 1989 Parcar, 5 solenoid cart (1 starter, 4 for fwd & rev). I am having what I think it trouble with the ignition switch. By itself it checks out on a continuity test (for example in fwd, H&I, C&E&F, and A&D&B terminals all have continuity with one another). Question: does the key switch apply +12V to any terminals except G or I when switched?

Trying to figure out how I get power to lines that run to solenoids (example: when in FWD, getting power on wire running down to solenoid bank which connects A1 to ground and A2 to F1 to get forward...).

I "hot wired" by removing switch and putting 12V onto wires (along with starter solenoid) and it works (power to 1 wire for fwd, other for reverse), thinking the key switch should be turning on 12V. For example in FWD: H&I connect to drive ignition, and switch also supplies 12V to C&E&F to power fwd solenoid bank?

Help would be appreciated!
ParcarMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
ParcarMN
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Key Switch Continuity (89 5 Solenoid Parcar)

I figured it out, the key switch DOES NOT apply +12V to any terminals except G or I when switched. Turns out the diagram from the manual and a few of the other ignition switch diagrams posted on this forum did not match up or were incomplete for the 5 solenoid gas cart, but with a combination of them I was able to figure it out and get everything wired up correctly. I will draw up a schematic of the whole thing and post in case anyone else runs into the same thing! Thanks
ParcarMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
kdiekman
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Did you ever get a diagram drawn up?
kdiekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
kdiekman
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Figured out the issue with reverse not working was a bad diode in the F/R key switch
kdiekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I was just going to let you know that, a while back, there was an indepth thread that contained some detailed wiring schematics. I am pretty sure that a poster named "strawman" did the conversion and posted everything that was needed. It was years ago but I am sure you could find the thread for future use if you needed to.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:17 AM   #6
parcaraussie
Not Yet Wild

Can anyone help me on the wiring diagram for the key switch on a 5 solenoid par car.
parcaraussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Just about all Par Car manuals can be found here:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/

You just have to browse around until you find the right one.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:15 AM   #8
parcaraussie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks mate, been right through them all already. The key switch for a 5 solenoid par car isnt in any of the manuals. The electrical diagram is in the 89 manual, doesn't display the Key Switch though
parcaraussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
continuity, key switch, power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar