lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default adding a second coat of paint or clear prep

Ive laid out several coats of paint of the body and i got a few runs that i was going to try and sand down with 800? sandpaper and then reapply another coat of paint or possibly a clear coat. Any tips you can offer for doin this.

Do i need to lightly sand the whole thing before a recoat?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: adding a second coat of paint or clear prep

sanded the runs down with 800 wet, then wet sanded the whole thing with 1500 and hit it with 2 more coats. bugs and wind where better today
Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Pics?

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not the latest pics but thought id share my experience with krylon color master. I could not find krylon fusion when I was painting. Funny enough I went to Lowes yesterday and they now are stocking it.
Anyway after looking at other paints I settled on the Krylon color master in olive green. I picked these cans up at Walmart and they are the 20% more cans. FYI these cans do not have the nice adjustable spray nozzle, IMO the spay pattern kinda sucked. I think I laid 3-4 coats the first round and the wind and bugs was crazy. I used 1200 sand paper and lightly wet sanded the thing spending a little more time on the runs which mostly came out and did cover over after the second round of paint. After a few days of curing I cleaned up the body and tack clothed it, wet the ground down and hit it with 2-3 more coats. Let it cure a week and mounted the body. I lightly wet sanded the body again because like I said the spray pattern sucked. This removed the rough feel the paint had to it and overall help blend the stripes LOL. I again let it sit a day or 2 then gave the entire body a few coats of wax. Let it sit a few days then did the final assembly. After 6 months Ive been impressed at how well its holding up and it doesn't scratch easy. I ended up not using clear coat.

When I did all this I also painted the Rubber mats from the cup holders down. I cleaned them with simple grean and rinsed really well. I then used adhesion promoter on all of them and hit them with Black colormaster semigloss paint. This to has held up surprisingly well so far and holding up to the foot traffic. A previous owner had glued down carpet so there is glue still on some of the mat. I did lightly sand the glue down before painting. DO NOT pressure wash the mats. The pressure washer will tear them up if your up close with it. I have some scaring but its hidden under the added cup holder. I had also bought a set of used hand rails from a member with the chrome being rough. I hit them up with a sand blaster and also hand sanded them. The chrome is hard to get off even win poor condition. I hit them with adhesion promotor and them with self etching primer. After that I used Hammer Black paint to finish them up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1672.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1673.jpg (297.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A few newer pics with the Polaris front bumper installed. I do have newer wheels I just havent had the gumption to do tire break downs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1913.jpg (245.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1914.jpg (205.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1915.jpg (202.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1916.jpg (213.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint