lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
bullitt5339
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Melex Project

Just getting ready to start on my 1st golf cart project, a 1999 Melex 625E. Bought it for super cheap, because it's a basket case, and I like rebuilding things, so this should be perfect for me.

The good: The cart is complete and the body is in decent shape, but could still use some work.

The bad: Batteries were bad. Floorboard is rusted out (easy fix, it seems). Even with new batteries in it, it will not move. Previous owner said that it was diagnosed as the Curtis Controller being bad. I ran into so much corrosion on the electrical connectors though, and I don't want to run out and buy parts I don't need, so once it's all cleaned up and painted, and the new batteries are here, I'll troubleshoot it for myself and make sure that's the problem. It also needs a few bushings in the front end, easy fix.

I thought for the price, it was going to be a complete wreck, but if you know the plan, it really isn't going to be that bad at all. At least it's all there, and cost me next to nothing. I couldn't run out and spend $3k on a new golf cart, but I can nickel and dime this one into submission within a couple months on my budget.......
bullitt5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
bullitt5339
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1999 Melex Project

Here's some pictures of what I got accomplished this morning before it started raining too hard to continue:

Here's the cart as I purchased it:

Started tearing it down, getting it ready for some restoration and repair:

Here's the first order of business to be repaired. The floorboards were ate out from many years of sitting outside in the rain:

After cutting all the floorboard out, except around the throttle pedal. I haven't decided whether to take that part out, or just leave it and overlap a little. It's not rusted badly, so I could just coat in with a rust inhibitor and call it a day:

And after the floorboard is repaired, this is the next order of business. Getting some rust out of the battery box. It's not too bad, I've seen much worse, but since I'm going to be spraying the battery box with bedliner once it's replaced, I want it all to look nice, so some steel will be replaced, and a lot of cleaning will take place:

Overall, it's not in as bad of shape as I originally thought. The floorboard repair will be easy, as will the battery box fixes. Then the body goes in for paint and a little repair work, not too much though. After that, we can slap some batteries in her, custom fab some trim pieces using the metal brake, since you can't find Melex body parts or aftermarket parts, and she'll be rolling again.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I also like to fix old carts up but I go about it differently. I like to get them running first and then decide if they are worth paint and all .... the controllers, motor, batteries, solenoid, etc are not cheap. You could end up with a very good looking non running cart
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
bullitt5339
Not Yet Wild

it will be running before the paint, definately. I'm waiting for my batteries to get here, so that I can troubleshoot why it doesn't go. I know the motor is good, we tested it out already. It was looked at by a professional, and he said it was the Curtis Speed Controller that was bad, so I'd have to take his word on that. He tested the 0-5k already, along with some other small parts with some borrowed power, so I know they're good. I've found rebuilt controllers for $175 here locally, so as soon as I have batteries, I'll be able to troubleshoot the controller.

I didn't mention that one of my best friends rebuilds golf carts for a living, so getting parts temporarily for troubleshooting will be no problem. Even getting some parts used will be easy, I just can't get a controller from him, since it's a high dollar part.

I'm basically just keeping myself busy and interested in the work until I can get to the real work on it. But I have confidence that between my metal fab skills, and my friend's golf cart rebuild knowledge, we can actually get this old beat up Melex looking and running like new for under a grand, which is still way under what I would have spent for a cart that's ready to ride.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
bullitt5339
Not Yet Wild

Got some good news:

It now Runs!!!! Batteries are bad, but my friend brought me a new Curtis controller down so that I could make sure that was the problem, and it would actually move, albeit slow due to the batteries.

Also got it cleaned up pretty good, but I've got another friend coming by tomorrow with his pressure washer to get the battery box all cleaned up so I can start cutting/welding without dealing with residual acid. He'll also do all the suspension at the same time, and we'll go from there.

This is a lot of fun, honestly. I think I'm going to enjoy building this thing as much as riding it.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looks like you may want to just pull the rear body and make it easy to repair the frames and floor...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Neal 97 250
Getting Wild

Looks like a good project in decent shape. Way better than my old Melex.
Neal 97 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex