lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
Trippin1190
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Marathon Loose Steering

Please be patient, I’m new to the golf cart world and am learning as I go.

We recently bought a 1990 Marathon that I’m in the process of restoring. So far, I have rebuilt the battery frame, replaced all the wiring, upgraded the springs, added a rear seat, replaced wheels and tires, new lighting, on and on. The cart runs fine and the batteries are just over a year old. We have not lifted the cart and not sure we will.

I have a problem with the steering feels very loose, as I can turn the wheel 1/4 to 1/2 a turn before the front tires turn. I have checked the tie rod ends, the front end bearings and bushings. I think the problem is in the steering box and rack. Before is spend more $$$, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas how to fix this problem?
Trippin1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: 1990 Marathon Loose Steering

Nothing to tighten if it's that loose, good thing is the rack rail and pinion gear or the complete assembly are still available.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

first thing to do is grease the front end. That absolutely will help. It may not fix it but it will absolutely help. I had an 84 Marathon and made a huge difference in steering.

You may have worn rack and pinion issues and/or kingpins that are worn.

But start with the grease.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the intermediate shaft also, that's the connecting shaft with the 2 universal joints. Mine had play in it but not as much as yours and I found one of the u-joints was bad. I agree with bronsonj also, may a badly worn rack.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO