lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ Go TXT won't pull hills

I have 1997 EZ Go TXT that runs great on flat or slight up hill surfaces but will not pull a relatively steep hill in my back yard. Batteries are old (2015) but test out just a little above 6 volts on a load tester. I understand that new batteries when fully charged will read about 6.4 volts? Strange thing is the cart will back up the same hill very fast. Not sure if the old batteries are the culprit or not. I just put on new 4 gauge cables because a couple of the old ones were heating up pretty good after use.
timwc1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ Go TXT won't pull hills

The 6 year old batteries are most likely nearing the end of their useful lifespan, but if they'll power the cart up the hill in reverse, they should also power it up in forward. The amp draw from the battery is rougghly the same in either direction.

Do any of the F/R contact get hot when trying to go up the hill forward?

-----------
What make/model batteries?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are Duracell SLIGC110

I will check the F/R contacts after running it a while.

I did have my volt meter on the battery pack when trying to climb the hill and it dropped from 37.2 to 29.6 volts. I expected it to drop but have heard it should not drop more than 10%?
Old 09-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Bama Brad: Yes I did get 4 Gauge cables. They don't heat up like the old ones did but there is still a problem. The cart will go up the steep hill just flying in reverse but not forward. I will do the test you suggested on each individual battery and see what it shows.

Did you have a chance to test each battery while running up the hill?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so did a load test on my battery pack, total voltage fully charged was 37.2v and this dropped to 29.6v when trying to go up the hill. Individual batteries were as follows under load:
4.86, 4.90, 4.73, 5.66, 4.65 and 4.66. This was the lowest point they dropped in each case. The 5.66 was a newer battery (2020) while the rest are 2015. I am thinking this might be too much voltage drop??
Old 09-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
techno89
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwc1953 View Post
Ok, so did a load test on my battery pack, total voltage fully charged was 37.2v and this dropped to 29.6v when trying to go up the hill. Individual batteries were as follows under load:
4.86, 4.90, 4.73, 5.66, 4.65 and 4.66. This was the lowest point they dropped in each case. The 5.66 was a newer battery (2020) while the rest are 2015. I am thinking this might be too much voltage drop??
Those drops sound way too low, I think it' the batteries. The only reason I could think it works in reverse, maybe the way the motor is wound, it runs more efficiently in reverse. I had an Admiral MOT motor that ran faster in reverse than forward.
techno89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

Techno 89, yeah I had heard somewhere that reverse is geared differently than the forward gear, so maybe it doesn’t require as much amperage? It’s looking more and more like l’ll have to bite bullet and get new batteries.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwc1953 View Post
Techno 89, yeah I had heard somewhere that reverse is geared differently than the forward gear, so maybe it doesn’t require as much amperage? It’s looking more and more like l’ll have to bite bullet and get new batteries.
Electric carts are direct drives with same gear ratio in F or R.

The difference in F and R is the direction the amps flow through the stator windings. Changing the direction of amp flow changes the direction the motor spins.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I would be surprised if new batteries didn't correct your problem. It's time (2015) anyway.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #10
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

Bama Brad: I am leaning that way as well but just concerned that the cart will back up the steep hills but not go forward with my current batteries. I guess I haven't really lost anything by replacing them since they are 6 years old but just hope that fixes the issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO