lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default MZJ-400 Solenoid just stopped YDRE

We were 9 holes into our games - just teed off on the 10th and the cart stopped...

no click so I assumed solenoid. Pushed it off the course, removed the rear cover, visually checked wiring. All looked good.

The setup is Admiral motor, Navitas Controller, and MZJ-400 solenoid.

I got some tools from home (a short walk) and refitted stock solenoid and got home okay - golf game ruined though...

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone has an answer to.

1. The stock solenoid small terminals have no markings so in the absence of any more info I just connected them. Is there a right / wrong way?

2. The Navitas app was saying that controller was shut down due to under-voltage and to check resistance across terminals (or something similar) - there was no corrosion or anything that may cause higher resistance. Batteries were showing as 49.x volts (they're six years old and I'll replace this year)

3. The stock solenoid performed better than the replacement (it could be my imagination but cart felt faster).

Thanks.
limaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: MZJ-400 Solenoid just stopped YDRE

I have had two Chinese copy MZJ-400's fail and I replaced them with the stock one I took out. IMO these solenoids are crap. Yes - they have heavy duty contacts but that's not what fails on solenoids. It's the pull-in switch that failed on both of mine and that killed the coil by overheating it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #3
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I have had two Chinese copy MZJ-400's fail and I replaced them with the stock one I took out. IMO these solenoids are crap. Yes - they have heavy duty contacts but that's not what fails on solenoids. It's the pull-in switch that failed on both of mine and that killed the coil by overheating it.
I was thinking the same. I would love to find a high quality replacement.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

IMO a stock solenoid is just as good - and I think more reliable. Under normal operation, the solenoid does not open or close under load so the contacts last a long time. The failure mode I have seen on the "heavy duty" solenoids is that the plunger that operates the pull-in switch gets flattened on the end and eventually it does not open the switch when the solenoid engages. That keeps the pull-in coil energized and it quickly overheats and frys. I have taken mine apart to see this failure. I am now running my carts on stock solenoids with no issues.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'm with Volt Amp on this one. MJZ400 are Chinese crap no matter who you purchase them from. I have replaced 3 in the last year with a REAL Albright SW200. Rated 200A continuous, 600A max. See link. Work great with 500A Alltrax and PQ Executioner motor. Ans its USA made.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
I'm with Volt Amp on this one. MJZ400 are Chinese crap no matter who you purchase them from. I have replaced 3 in the last year with a REAL Albright SW200. Rated 200A continuous, 600A max. See link. Work great with 500A Alltrax and PQ Executioner motor. Ans its USA made. [emoji106]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, that's what I was looking for

Sent from my XQ-AU52 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
IMO a stock solenoid is just as good - and I think more reliable. Under normal operation, the solenoid does not open or close under load so the contacts last a long time. The failure mode I have seen on the "heavy duty" solenoids is that the plunger that operates the pull-in switch gets flattened on the end and eventually it does not open the switch when the solenoid engages. That keeps the pull-in coil energized and it quickly overheats and frys. I have taken mine apart to see this failure. I am now running my carts on stock solenoids with no issues.
I bought the one recommend below but I agree about stock solenoid. It's performing well. I may leave it in there until I next take it apart.

Re my question on wiring, us there a wrong way for small contacts. I can't see why there would be but wanted to check.

Sent from my XQ-AU52 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2021, 04:38 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No wrong way for the small contacts - unless there is a diode across them. Then there is a wrong way to bias the diode. The Positive voltage should be to the banded end of the diode. It will last one second at most if you have that wrong.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks, I thought as much.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hi All, I've just received the Curtis Albright solenoid.

I read somewhere that this has a diode built in but it appears not to (I expected to see it across the small terminals)

I assume the + / - are the two soldered spade terminals on the right and the ones on the left can be used to connect the diode?

Also, what should the diode be 1N5408?
I have a load of 1N4007 that are 1A - would connecting three in parallel work? If so, what size resistors would need to be in series to ensure equalisation of the current?

(I realise diodes are cheap but getting out in Australia to shop for anything is ridiculous)

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0212.jpg (99.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha