lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
chuey1975
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy fe 350 motor help

Hello I’m new here! My daughter got a 2008 Club car carry all 2 just this past spring. She was riding it and it started smoking and losing power and making loud “clanking” noise. I checked the oil and it was very low.
Friend says it needs rebuilt or a new motor.
My question is where on earth do I get this done? There are so many things I’m
Not sure of
1. Is it clockwise or counter clockwise?
2. Do I have what they call an ACR type motor?
3. If I do get it rebuilt where can I get that done?
4. Can I just buy a motor and swap? I’m not mechanically inclined one bit!

Please be kind. Seems like you guys know you’re stuff and I honestly
do not.
Im Really about to have a meltdown over this thing. $3500 is a lot of money and now we need replace the engine!
Thank You in advance
chuey1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: fe 350 motor help

When these motors start knocking it’s usually the counterbalance weight link rods. On the fe290 they’re replaceable, as Long as you catch it before it blows a hole in the back of the motor you’re good. However the fe350 they’re not replaceable.you’d need a new crankshaft, which is about as much as a new engine costs. If you’re mechanically inclined or know someone that is, you can redplace the rings and rod, gaskets and hone the cylinder. If the link rods are loose you can remove them and the CB weight. The engine is saveable. It will vibrate a bit at low rpm but it smooths out as it revs up.

Only other option is a replacement motor either from club car or Vegas carts. You’ll need a 6:1 regear along with the swap if you do the vegas carts option.

There’s a chance the link rods are okay and it’s just the main rod that’s knocking, those are cheap and replaceable. But usually the link rods go first, either way there’s no way to tell for sure until the motor is opened up.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #3
chuey1975
Not Yet Wild

Thank You for your help. I don’t know anyone that could fix it. I’ve even posted on local groups and no luck. Looks like we better just get a new motor.
Sounds way too complicated for this girl to tackle.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:59 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Where are you located Chuey?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've sent two motors to J&M golf carts. they do a good job and are pretty quick.

Its the easiest way to rebuild a stock motor if you dont have the time/ability to do it yourself. I recommend them

http://www.jandmgolfcarts.com/engines.htm

At the very least they will go through it and replace everything thats broke, as long as you havent knocked a hole in the block (you should be able to see that, there will be oil everywhere too)

Its an easy process shipping them one, make sure to drain oil, remove everything from the motor and use lots of padding like sweatshirts or that stiff gray foam stuff. cost me about $26 to send one a couple years ago via a UPS pickup location. I packed it, and they just printed me a label for my box
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
chuey1975
Not Yet Wild

I am In Reynoldsville Pennsylvania
Old 09-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #7
chuey1975
Not Yet Wild

I just might have to do it this way! Thank You very much for helping me
Old 09-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Motors and More Appling, GA 30802
Don't get any better than this company
Give them a call
You will be glad you did
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’ve never had J&M rebuild any engines from me (I do my own), but I have bought some parts from them on a few occasions and they’ve been extremely helpful any time I’ve talked to them. I was referred to them by David at revolution golf cars, who is a site sponsor here and an extremely knowledgeable and helpful fella. They’re right in his neck of the woods and if he recommends them, you know they’re reliable

You will have to remove the motor to send it out, at the top of the gas club car sticky section there’s a “fe290 rebuild” that will guide you to remove the old engine from the cart, and reinstall it. I can do it in about 20 minutes, so shouldn’t take you more than a couple hours with basic hand tools.

Just keep in mind, if it is the counterbalance weight link rods, the crankshaft will need to be replaced and it is big $$$. You really may want to consider a vegas carts clone swap kit, and buy a lifan or predator motor (or vanguard if you’re feeling frisky…) cost would likely be a bit cheaper and you’ll have sooo much more power. With the lifan/predator 420 clone kit you can keep the pedal start option with the vegas kit, and those are engineered and designed so that anybody with some basic hand tools can complete the engine swap in a weekend.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I’ve never used J&M, but I had Motors and More do a rebuild on a 350 several years ago and it’s still doing fine.
If you’re not a mechanical person you can follow through some of the threads here for help on removing the engine, but you may be better off to have a shop pull the motor and install the new one when you get it back.

CP! Good to see you back around man! Was starting to wonder what cliff you fell off of.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car