lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G16 rear differential destroyed

So a friend just brought me his rear axle out of a gas 97 g16 no forward or reverse issue. Upon disassembley I realized there was no oil. The housing is cracked on the bottom and who knows for how long. This rear end looks like it's been running dry for a long time. The input bearings failed causing it to eat all the bearing through the gears. My question is anyone know where to find any of these gears? Plowman's doesn't have any. I am familiar with the fact you can use a new style rear end but a lot of fab is involved and I would rather not travel that road.
lady bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 rear differential destroyed

Yeah those G16 transaxles hang really low and have a large flat aluminum front section that tends to get banged up when off road. Many that I've seen are cracked and dry. Seems to be a thing. I have a complete G16 with no engine that has a cracked open transaxle, thinking it's toast as well.

As far as parts go, if Plowman's doesn't have them I'm thinking you'll have to find a Yamaha dealer. Try looking at some of our other sponsors, they might be dealers. Just a forewarning....it'g going to get expensive. Most people will try to swap a used unit in there. I've seen used G16 transaxles anywhere from $400-$1000, but they are hit or miss. Maybe place an ad in the "parts" section that you are looking for one.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #3
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the advice kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the info. On to the site sponsors I go.
lady bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:38 AM   #4
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yamaha has discontinued support for most of that stuff. I agree with Slo. Your best bet is to find a trashed car and take the transaxle out of it or locate someone that is selling just the transaxle.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I actually had a transaxle with a hole in it and same issue, customer lost all oil and didn't know it until the noises started.
I made a replacement piece for the housing, had a shop weld it in then surface it smooth and drill for one of the diff cover bolts.
I sourced a parts breakdown on the internet and had all of the part numbers I needed.
Then just search the part numbers, I found a lot of them on Ebay and others on line at different dealers, some overseas.
It can be done but you need to spend time on the web.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #6
sford1982
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Yeah those G16 transaxles hang really low and have a large flat aluminum front section that tends to get banged up when off road. Many that I've seen are cracked and dry. Seems to be a thing. I have a complete G16 with no engine that has a cracked open transaxle, thinking it's toast as well.

As far as parts go, if Plowman's doesn't have them I'm thinking you'll have to find a Yamaha dealer. Try looking at some of our other sponsors, they might be dealers. Just a forewarning....it'g going to get expensive. Most people will try to swap a used unit in there. I've seen used G16 transaxles anywhere from $400-$1000, but they are hit or miss. Maybe place an ad in the "parts" section that you are looking for one.

Hey bud, I know this is an old thread but hoping you can maybe help me. I’m new here and sent you a friend request, didn’t t see where I could just send you a PM. Anyways, long story short a mechanic working on my 99 G16 went out of business in the middle of the work and left me with a cart in pieces, and now I’m missing some parts in my rear end. If you happen to still have that old one and are willing to sell a few parts off of it please let me know.

Thank you sir.
sford1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:12 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford1982 View Post
Hey bud, I know this is an old thread but hoping you can maybe help me. I’m new here and sent you a friend request, didn’t t see where I could just send you a PM. Anyways, long story short a mechanic working on my 99 G16 went out of business in the middle of the work and left me with a cart in pieces, and now I’m missing some parts in my rear end. If you happen to still have that old one and are willing to sell a few parts off of it please let me know.

Thank you sir.
It's not for sale at this point. I've commited to my daughter to fix it up for her. Sorry.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:59 AM   #8
sford1982
Not Yet Wild

Ok, totally understand that! If anything ever changes, please keep me in mind, if I still have this cart I’m sure I could use a couple parts…

Take it easy bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #9
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post some pics of what you need. I might have some parts.
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:10 PM   #10
sford1982
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesstwo View Post
Post some pics of what you need. I might have some parts.

#28 is a bracket for the brake cable, I found one on eBay, coming from Japan. Takes a month. It’s was expensive due to the shipping but I’m in a bind. So hopefully it shows up in a month like it’s supposed to!

The other two pieces don’t have a part number and can’t be ordered, called around to several shops in Florida with no luck. They are a main bearing cap I believe is what they are called.

Been learning a lot on this forum already. Can’t wait to get my cart back. It’s been a nightmare situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha