lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
keeldridge
Not Yet Wild

Default FE290 Fuel Filters almost empty

I have a 1998 Club Car with a FE290 Kawasaki motor. The cart will run fine for a short period (3/4 mile) and then die like it is running out of gas. Checked the fuel lines and both the filter near the tank and the one near the carb have very little fuel in them. I changed out the fuel filters and manually filled the one near the the tank with fuel and the cart started and seems to run fine. (20 minutes under a load) but when I check the filters both were just about empty. Any ideas, is this normal? I did blow air back through the pickup tube and also check the fuel line going to the Carb by putting in the line into a bottle and turning the motor over. Not sure how much should be coming out of the pump, seem like a very slow stream. Any idea how much fuel pressure I should be seeing coming out of the pump?
Thanks
keeldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: FE290 Fuel Filters almost empty

Those fuel pumps will run almost no pressure. Just about the same as gravity feed, probably less than1 lb of pressure at best. Open flow it will be just a small trickle. Keep in mind the pump runs on a pressure / vacuum pulse so the stream will pulse - not steady like an electric pump. You will never eliminate the air from the fuel filters If there is enough gas to fill as high as the outlet tube of the filter, it's enough.

Last edited by meimk; 08-30-2021 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
keeldridge
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply, so I guess if the cart is running ok don't worry about.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If filters are totally full that's usually when I replace them, because that's often an indicator that they're blocked or have water in them. These can have next to no fuel visible at all in the filters and still run fine.
As long as the pump is squirting some fuel, it's usually more than enough.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
keeldridge
Not Yet Wild

Really need some help, I am totally stumped. Put a new fuel pump and filters and spark plug. Drove about 5 miles and and it ran great then about 1/2 mile from home it acted like it was running out of gas and quit. After about 1 minute it started back up went about 1/4 mile and did it again. Any idea what can be causing it? Going to put a new vacuum line on but I don't believe that is the problem. This is driving be nuts!
Old 09-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #6
Gumbys69
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like the same issue I’m having. Ive swapped out all fuel lines, fuel pump and went right through the carb to make sure the float is working fine. Checked all vent/breather lines. Good compression and pulse line. For such a low tech system it sure has its issues.
Gumbys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
keeldridge
Not Yet Wild

If you figure it out please post the fix, thanks
Old 09-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check for spark. Majority of "runs good till it gets hot" issues are a loss of spark.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
keeldridge
Not Yet Wild

spark is strong. The cart act like it runs out of gas and quits, wait less then a minute and it will start running fine again but will quit more often the more you run it. Sometimes just punching the choke a few time will keep it running. At a loss.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #10
Gumbys69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeldridge View Post
spark is strong. The cart act like it runs out of gas and quits, wait less then a minute and it will start running fine again but will quit more often the more you run it. Sometimes just punching the choke a few time will keep it running. At a loss.
Mine died again today, no fuel in the fuel filter again. I will swap out the coil for a new one (maybe on Thursday if not on the weekend)and see if that has anything to do with it. Ill keep you posted.
Gumbys69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1998 fe290 club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car