lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #1
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Holley Mighty Mite return line

I want to install a Holley Mighty Mite fuel pump on my G2 with a VC625. I keep reading that I will need to run a return line. Can someone post some pics on how you do that? Do you run a return line from the carb back to the tank and if so how do you plumb it? Any help is appreciated. Thx
Shieldzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Holley Mighty Mite return line

It is really simple. Just put a tee in the line between the pump and the carb and just a hose barb fitting into the top of the tank. I bumped my thread on the G14 tempo fuel gauge but on page 1 there is a pick of the barbed fitting I put in the top of the tank. There a mighty mite on both this cart and my 440 cc sled powered HD cart. The sled engine did not need a return line.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's a photo of one of my many engine installs. You can see the two fuel lines come from the left, one is the supply, the other is the return. Basically split the fuel supply line to the carb as close to the carb as you can. Install the brass "T" fitting there. Then one line goes to the carb, one line goes back to the fuel tank. Some will make the return line one size smaller than the supply line to maintain pressure in the supply line. For example, if your fuel lines are 5/16", just make the return line a 1/4" size. It works quite well and stops flooding issues in most cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clone engine fuel ines.jpg (354.4 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Slo I had to look at that picture many times to figure it out. Two lines to the right of the pump appear to be swapped.. As in it looks like the line from the T goes back to the pump when it really goes back to the tank..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Slo I had to look at that picture many times to figure it out. Two lines to the right of the pump appear to be swapped.. As in it looks like the line from the T goes back to the pump when it really goes back to the tank..
Lol, it does look that way, but it's not. The top of the photo is cut off and you can't see which line goes where haha. Good try though Allow me to get the crayons out

Red is supply from the tank to the pump
Green is supply from pump to carb
Blue is return from tee to tank
Yellow is pulse from pump to intake barb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedInkedclone engine fuel ines_LI.jpg (332.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #6
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys! The pump should be here tomorrow, hopefully this solves my issue. I noticed that my fuel filter, which is clear, is only half full at best while running.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When my VC 460 used other pumps the glass filter at times was 1/2 full or less. That usually led to running issues. It stays full with the Holley pump and a return line with some restriction in it.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:02 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I understand the allure of an electric pump, but they just aren't neccesary, even for high hp engines.

I've run a Predator 212, Yamaha 215cc, Yamaha 301, Ezgo 350cc, VC440, VC460, 16hp Vanguard, 23hp Vanguard, 20hp Vanguard, and Predator 670....all with the same part number Briggs vacuum pulse fuel pump and never had a full fuel filter and never had any fuel related issues.

With that said.....if you are going to run an electric pump:

*Make sure you run a return line to the tank.
*Make sure your filter isn't draining backwards into the tank.
*Plumbing diameter is key to getting the correct amount of fuel flow and pressure. Match your plumbing to the pump, read the specs.
*Make sure your carburetor is set up to handle the psi of your pump.
*Plumbing head distance/height is also a factor, meaning vertical distance.

Some fuel pumps are good pushers, meaning they mount near the tank and push the fuel forward to the engine.

Some fuel pumps are good pullers, meaning they mount near the engine and pull the fuel toward the engine.

Some vehicles have both.

Check the pump you have and mount it in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer. It should have specs on plumbing diameter, plumbing head pressure, etc.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My sled powered HD cart does not have a return line. Engines that were designed to use a fuel pump such as the sled engine do not need one and that would include engines like Mr Chevy's Vanguard powered Cub Cadet and his Kohler powered classic Wheel Horse. The Wheel has one of my E Bay in it after some replacement mechanical pumps failed. I would also note both my VC 460 G 14 and the 440 cc Suzuki sled engines HD cart both had the Mikuni B&S fuel pump in them. The sled cart's unit failed in the first season and the VC 460's unit failed after 3 seasons. My Guess for the pump failures is that the B&S pump was not designed for high rpm usage and both my carts are used at high rpms. The Mighty Mite is designed for carb V8 cars so it can deliver anything my carts require.This is why I highly recommend the Holley Mighty Mite and use it in both of my carts. The WALK of Shame is no fun back home from a fuel pump failure AND every pump prior the the Mighty Mite has resulted in one in both carts.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #10
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have the adjustable main jet on my VC625 carb but I’ve been searching for the “Shepard modded idle screw” info on here and can’t seem to find it. Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!