lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2021, 11:12 PM   #1
JRL
Gone Wild

Default Need 2000 EZGO txt Steering Part

Looking for a part number (or where to find) the small link that connects the upper steering shaft to the steering box in an early txt ('94-2001.5).
I find it listed as part 11 on the steering parts diagrams, but no part number.
It serves as a crude universal joint. Small piece of hard steel with two bolt holes.
Any assistance is highly appreciated.
Seems as I lack "sufficient permissions" to post in EZGO Tech section?
Also interested in what the steering shaft (between steering wheel and box) diameter might be?
The picture below shows the "link"...just a small thing right in the center of the picture
Want to make an adapter in order to attach a Prius EPS steering unit to the txt steering box. I have everything except the small link.
Don't want to tear the steering up and be unable to return to stock...should this not work out.
These links are not used in 2001.5 and later models. Only used on 3 bolt steering columns, gas and electric.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2021, 02:50 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need 2000 EZGO txt Steering Part

JRL.

I dont think that part is available separately, or at least i never found one LOL. Considering your skill shown already on your build work, surely you could fabricate a suitable part yourself. Your comment "crude universal joint" suggests to me maybe a modified U/J from a socket set would suffice to trial what you are attempting to do?

Otherwise someone may have a spare you could use.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I might have one out in an old column, I'll check this morning.
Where are you located?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This it ? 70558G01 Part number 33

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-ca...01%7c%7eBB-1/y
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #5
JRL
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
I might have one out in an old column, I'll check this morning.

Where are you located?
Located near Charlotte.
Let me know if you have one. I believe these things were used in various EZGO models, gas and electric, '80s up to 2001.5. They were used with the frame mounted rack and pinion. Thanks

Yes on the Country Cat diagram. Part 33. That appears correct.

I ordered a rack pinion shaft last night. The input end of the shaft looks to be about the size of the smooth bore end of a Borgeson 312500 adaptor. That would make for a very short overall coupling. The other end of the adaptor fits the Prius splines....17mm x 36 x 3/4".
Didn't realize that the steering box pinion could be inserted from inside the cart.
Cannot believe the low cost for used Prius EPS units? $140 for a nice looking assembly, abd $19 bucks for the controller.
Other than hiding the EPS unit beneath the dash, this appears to be quite doable. I'll write it up and add pics.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Said they don’t stock it but available
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Well, I know I have one on a shaft somewhere in my shop but couldn't lay my hands on it today. I'll keep looking just in case you can't get one.
Sorry bout that......
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:29 PM   #8
JRL
Gone Wild

Appreciate all the info. I'm back in town and tomorrow will lay everything out and begin a mockup. Now considering using the Prius column. It's a few inches shorter than the TXT, but I'm good with that. Especially with power steering.
The overall shorter (18" vs 24") length gives wiggle room as the EPSA unit's position under the dash isn't as critical. So the joint between the assist and the rack input shaft is no longer critical.
Thinking about chopping off the lower txt 3 bolt column and welding a two bolt flange onto the column and create a ridged adaptor mount for the lower end. The column will still require support north of the motor assembly.
The Prius steering column is a strong item. Plan to keep that. Plan to cut off all the Toyota mounts and position the motor to the right maybe behind the (or into?) cup holders. May sacrifice the left holder so the motor can be a little bit hidden.
My wife's thrilled to have a car part on her kitchen table...

Old 08-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
JRL
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
JRL.

I dont think that part is available separately, or at least i never found one LOL. Considering your skill shown already on your build work, surely you could fabricate a suitable part yourself. Your comment "crude universal joint" suggests to me maybe a modified U/J from a socket set would suffice to trial what you are attempting to do?

Otherwise someone may have a spare you could use.
Hello CartMaster! Good to hear from you.
How's the "shelter in place" lockdowns going across the pond? Delightfully no doubt!
No such thing around here. Not yet. And not for trying... Country living is good!
Thanks for your input. Fortunately, the shaft fitments are common, and fitting these steering assist units into all sorts of cars, lawn mowers, and a few golf carts (have not seen a cart conversion--seen owners talking about doing so) has created an industry producing myriad adaptors to enable the process. The trick is to find and get the right adaptor before going broke...
Considered using a Ford Mustang rag-joint, but moved onto a rigid coupler.
The art here is to firm up the plan before cutting anything. I'm still using the cart and wish to keep it functional.
Back to work with you! [emoji6] I go in about your mid-day. Almost tea time now! Time flies...
Ideas welcomed.
Cheers

Old 08-20-2021, 03:33 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

LOL.

Im a gonna be watching this! I took a power steering unit off a Kawasaki mule many years ago and managed to put it onto one of my Monster truck lookalikes for the UK race fraternity. Don't ask how i did it as i simply cant remember. In those days you had to fabricate, cut and shut etc, just about everything you worked with. Cutting two adapters/flanges etc and welding them up to get what you needed.

Lockdown has eased a lot recently but a lot of us will continue to wear masks in public. New strains of covid are appearing way too often for my liking. Deaths are on the rise again and we are mentally prepared for another hit. I dont think this is ever going away, just continuously going to mutate.

Oh well, I pretty much filled the ticks on my bucket list, so I can go down happy LOL'
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps