lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2021, 05:23 AM   #1
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Which drive clutch?

I'm wondering what drive clutch you guys would recommend for a general purpose cart for a 420 clone with a 1" bore? It's the model where the counter clockwise engine rotation is an issue. I might use a jackshaft. Not sure yet. Will be used primarily for grandkids and dogs so going fast is not a requirement.

I have the original CC driven clutch and 1" belt but no drive clutch. One option is buying a new drive clutch that will work with that stuff. They were available last time I checked. Been a while though. If I can still get one that's an attractive choice for the cost savings. Otherwise I'll have to buy a new 1 13/16 driven clutch and belt too.

This is the cart as it sits now.

army is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Which drive clutch?

The Comet 780 is the clutch I use and recommend, however, I don't know if it will work on a clockwise engine. So I have a question, if you aren't looking for speed and power, why go with a clone? Why not rebuild the original engine?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #3
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There was no engine or clutch when I bought it. I might swap the 8 HP Honda in my gator wannabe EZGO into the Club Car and put the 15 horse in the EZGO. I had a 13 HP engine on it to start with. Had some valvetrain trouble and I needed the cart mobile so I put the 8 horse in it and just never swapped it out again. The 390 engine is going in a little truckster my father built which is why I bought the new 420. The Honda is actually plenty of power for a cart that's used for property maint. We have 3 acres and it does everything we want. It'll also go as fast as a stock '90 EZGO Marathon should be. I'd estimate about 20 mph.

Had the 390 in it at this point. Was going JD green but switched to red after finding a really good red front cowl.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the eccentric looking little truckster the 13 HP clone is going in. Has a 10 HP Kohler now that's getting tired. My dad built it when he was around 84. It was used as a 'tug' to move his toys around in his 3 big sheds. The Lego-like design is a form follows function thing, plus he was getting pretty kooky by then. The frame is 2" thick wall tubing arc welded into a tank-like configuration and the aluminum checkerplate is so shiny it's hard to look at out in the full sun without sunglasses. And even then it's pretty bright. Has a tobbaco priming machine rear end, a 4 speed truck transmission, and power steering. Will go 40 MPH in 3rd if you give the Kohler the time and distance to get it there.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ok, cool carts!

If your club car is reverse rotation / CW, then you'll be using reverse for forward gear and it will top out at like 9 mph or so. Lots of folks will swap high speed gears in there to get more mph and just keep running reverse for forward, but that does make reverse gear really tall.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The Comet 780 can be used in either direction. I think this is the case in most drive clutches. HOWEVER driven clutches are directional.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:02 AM   #7
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Any thoughts on this combo? The drive clutch diameter appears to be smaller than a 780 but I'm not looking for a lot of speed. I don't need the driven clutch but I'm not finding any 1" belt drive clutches to go with the Club Car driven clutch and belt. Not seeing driven clutches to fit the CC transaxle shaft for the wider belts if I get a Comet 780 either.

https://www.amazon.ca/CNCShop-Torque...19SL0LUK&psc=1
Old 08-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Most of the swaps on youtube using the go cart dive system end up smoking the belt. I thought the comet 780 comes in a version for an one inch belt. A call to belt palace might be worthwhile.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:40 AM   #9
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ever see a clutch like this before? Says Bombardier which narrows it down to only about a zillion different machines. My father got it from somebody who told him it worked fine when removed from a pooched engine. If I'm reading it right the tag says a max of 8500 RPM. That should not be a problem..

This clutch has a tapered hub so I'd have to come up with a jackshaft that has one end tapered to use it. Could also use an engine with a tapered crank but I already bought the new clone for the cart so I'm not gonna do that.

I have 3 different length 1" belts I could use. Also a 1 3/16 belt for an applicable size clutch. You can see one of my extra EZGO transaxles is in the 2nd pic. I have 3 spares, two coil spring and 1 leaf spring type. Just in case.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:50 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'd bet that's off of a snowmobile. I suppose you could make the tapered adapter fit. Not sure that clutch will be tuned correctly for a 4 stroke engine though. If its off of a snowmobile it would be tuned for a 2 stroke which is a much different powerplant that revs much higher etc. Not saying that clutch won't work, just saying it might not work very well. You really need a 4 stroke engine clutch. Most 4 stroke clutches will engage at around 1800 rpm and full shift at 3600, they make their power low in the powerband with peak torque in the 3600 rpm range stock. Snowmobile clutches will usually engage higher around 2800 rpm and full shift at 4000 rpm and up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps