lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #41
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Default Re: '99 Club Car DS ECO Battery Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Yeah, some very smart guy here found it.

I couldn't remember who it was so I took credit for it!

Nobody owns knowledge.
Thanks for spreading the word.
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #42
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

In case anyone is concerned about the range of a 60Ah battery pack, or a 72 Ah battery pack like I was, you can rest assured that you should have no problems with range with either one.

I found out I am using 1.45 Ah per mile fairly consistently. This is during both 20 mile and 10 mile long runs, between 15mph average and 8mph average speeds.

My rides are on surface streets, 24 mph top speed, level land, no hills, 2 passengers. There are lots of stops for sightseeing. If you have hills, your range may be reduced.

My 72 Ah ECO Battery has a safely usable 57.6 Ah since I won't go below 20% SOC except for emergencies. At 1.45 Ah per mile, this calculates to just under 40 miles, and in my runs is very accurate. A 60 Ah pack will give you 33 miles down to 20% SOC.

I am very pleased with my choice of the ECO Battery. I have had response to a question from a tech on a Saturday and Sunday evening. So far I have found out they are there for the customer. I got lucky as all of the 48 Volt kits are now out of stock until October 1. 36 volt kits are still in stock.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #43
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Sounds great, Mr. Tom!
Based on your numbers, my HSKY 103ah should get me pretty nearly all the way to Georgia!

Actually, my meter has been reading 53.0v since first getting it going 10 days ago. I don't take any long rides at present, but I do ride around the property a bunch.... It will drop to 52.7 or so after a ride, but it always seems to read 53.0 after resting for a while.
Note...that is the reading on my dash meter....the one on the battery is typically .1 to .2v higher....
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #44
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
Sounds great, Mr. Tom!
Based on your numbers, my HSKY 103ah should get me pretty nearly all the way to Georgia!

Actually, my meter has been reading 53.0v since first getting it going 10 days ago. I don't take any long rides at present, but I do ride around the property a bunch.... It will drop to 52.7 or so after a ride, but it always seems to read 53.0 after resting for a while.
Note...that is the reading on my dash meter....the one on the battery is typically .1 to .2v higher....
Ronno,

You should get 71 miles at 80% DOD. Or maybe 3 miles if you get stuck in the woods!

My longest ride to date was 27.64 miles, top speed 24mph, average speed 10mph, ending voltage 52.1, ending SOC 45.4%.

My dash meter and shunt meter read 53.6 and 53.8 respectively after charging. ECO tech said that is good.

I use the timer for the charger by dividing the Ah used by 15 (charger amps) then add 1/2 hour for saturation charge. If I use 30% DOD, then I charge for 2 hours plus 1/2 hour. It has been working flawlessly doing that.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #45
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Tom,

Do use a separate timer for you charging cycles so it shuts off the charge automatically, or just time it then unplug? I know I have read threads about getting plug in timers to plug the charger in as another safety step, just curious if it is what you do? ... oh, speak of the devil an 18 wheeler just pulled up to drop off my Batt!

... anyhow, They had a few 36v72ah EcoBatt left as of a week or so ago, everything else is on back order I believe for anyone looking... looks like I will be spending some time on the cart putting in my new toy finally tonight if I get some time 😬🍻
81clubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #46
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81clubcar View Post
Hey Tom,

Do use a separate timer for you charging cycles so it shuts off the charge automatically, or just time it then unplug? I know I have read threads about getting plug in timers to plug the charger in as another safety step, just curious if it is what you do? ... oh, speak of the devil an 18 wheeler just pulled up to drop off my Batt!

... anyhow, They had a few 36v72ah EcoBatt left as of a week or so ago, everything else is on back order I believe for anyone looking... looks like I will be spending some time on the cart putting in my new toy finally tonight if I get some time 😬🍻
Glad you got it! Exciting ain't it!

Get one of these, link courtesy of Walter: Set it for the number of amp hours you need to replace plus 1/2 hour for saturation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #47
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was asked by someone as to how I did the shunt on the ECO Battery. I removed the red and black covers from the terminals and took the following photos.

The shunt and the 48+ fuse mount directly to the EB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125424_5.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125503_0.jpg (190.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125441_6.jpg (108.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:23 PM   #48
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Great job Tom! I don't know a thing about lithium but it looks nice to me. Nice work!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #49
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Great job Tom! I don't know a thing about lithium but it looks nice to me. Nice work!
Thanks, Mooncarter! It was a fairly easy conversion and I'm glad I did it at this point.

And saving $.80 every two months on distilled water is a bonus. On S.S., every penny counts!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #50
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I finished several more details after the lithium installation.

There is 2" more clearance at the rear wheels with the lithium pack. Everything underneath is stock and I never had a problem with 4 adult riders and the old FLA pack, but I'm glad to see a bit more clearance.

I painted the rear seat and roof to match the front seat comfort covers.

I moved the strobe light to the back of the roof instead of the front.

I installed a new windshield, and screwed this one on instead of using the clips supplied. The clips on my old one broke several times since I need to trailer this backwards on my trailer. The wind pressure at 70 mph made me decide to screw this one down. I actually like the look better without those clips. I used gasketed screws and it rides much quieter at 24mph than it did before.

Well, I guess I'm finished for now. Now if it would just stop raining so I can go for a 25 mile ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210916_125111_5.jpg (255.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210916_125153_8.jpg (292.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210916_125202_1.jpg (252.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Tom47; 09-16-2021 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car