lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #11
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Golf cart suddenly backfiring through carb while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Unfortunately, yes. Motor has to be moved forward to get that last bolt out.
No, it's no fun replacing the coils on these, which is why I always recommend a genuine Kawasaki coil. Whether from a Club Car dealer or from Kawasaki parts source. They last 15 years vs the china cheapos that last 2-3 months.
In years past I've had several of those cheapos not even make it out of the shop. Not only will I not sell them, I won't install them for someone who sourced their own part. Yes the correct O.E.M. coil is about twice the price, but how many times do you want to do this job?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #12
silverviper
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the coil today with a OEM Kawasaki part. Unfortunately the golf cart is exhibiting the same issues. I also checked the vent tube on the carb. Cleaned the tube and nipple with cleaner and compressed air.

Overall it runs great for a minute or two, then starts to sputter and jerk. Eventually it dies completely and needs to be towed home. It seems like it is starving itself of fuel.

I noticed before I take it for a drive, the lower fuel filter that goes into the carb is 2/3rds full. After the golf cart dies, the fuel filter is dry by visual observation. If I leave it for a few hours it is back to 2/3rds full. I can blow through the filter with ease.

Is this possibly a fuel pump issue? I replaced it about a year ago, along with the hoses and fuel filters. I don’t believe it was an OEM part.
silverviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
charlie99
Not Yet Wild

Be sure the pulse line (from crankcase to fuel pump) does not have a low point; it should be a straight(-ish) run. A low point will accumulate engine oil or condensate and interfere with the pulses needed to pump fuel.

As far as re-priming by gravity while sitting a few hours, I don't know if that's supposed to happen or not. I thought the fuel pump would stop gas from gravity draining, but don't know for sure.
charlie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #14
hook57
Not Yet Wild

I had a similar experience last year. Cleaned carb, changed it, new fuel lines, filters, pump, and a new OEM coil etc... Still had backfiring out the carb, fuel soaking the air filter too, and getting in the oil. Found an old thread about Tecumseh engines and sticking valves. So I pulled the cylinder head and discovered an awful amount of carbon build up. The exhaust valve was obviously not seating well at all. Cleaned either up a reasonable amount to see if it made a difference. Then reassembled and voila, no more backfiring. Decided to rebuild it too so it’s in that stage now. Cart is a 91 CC with the KF82 engine. Not an expert by any means but it can’t hurt to check the valves maybe.
hook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #15
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I also had backfiring 2 years ago. I changed the coil with quality one, and then still needed to disassemble and clean the valve. It was very badly covered with carbon.

I thought I would never get the valve back in using regular tools. I would definitely try find a valve tool.
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #16
hook57
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlb7928 View Post
I also had backfiring 2 years ago. I changed the coil with quality one, and then still needed to disassemble and clean the valve. It was very badly covered with carbon.

I thought I would never get the valve back in using regular tools. I would definitely try find a valve tool.
Agreed!!
hook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #17
silverviper
Not Yet Wild

Well I took off the head to check the valves. They had a very slight carbon build up. I ended up cleaning them up. After cleaning them, I flipped the head upside down and poured gas on the valves to check for leaks. Both the exhaust and intake were leaking within a minute. Exhaust leaked more. I ended up lapping the valves and retested for leaks. After 5 mins passed, no leaking.

I decided to clean the carburetor again. That’s when I found the issue with the golf cart. There was gas stuck inside the float, about half full. I put the float in boiling water and immediately saw bubbles coming from the seam of the plastic on its side. I ended up replacing this carburetor under its lifetime warranty. It now once again runs flawlessly and the engine seems to run smoother/better after lapping the valves.
silverviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car