lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
mbrown55
Getting Wild

Default Things I’ve done so far.

2021 I60L with dealer installled twin 56Ah roypow packs in parallel with the roypow green lithium charger. Originally was going with the single 105Ah but the hills around here with the lifted 6 seater was causing the BMS to shut down the battery. Putting two in parallel gives the same capacity but cuts the amperage to each BMS in half. We have gone up and down monster hills with no issues.

The dealer could not figure out how to remove the onboard Icon (Delta Q) charger so he left it and wire a separate power cable for the new onboard charger.

I removed the factory charger and routed the new charge input to the factory port so that functions like normal with the removable power cord. I had to go back to the dealer to pick up the cord because they didn’t include it. The SOC is a little iffy because I dont think it is set up for lithium so i installed the Roypow supplied power meter in the dash.

The trick to removing the factory charger is a two wire cable from the charger that supplies on/off logic to the motor controller so that you can’t drive off with the charge plugged in. A jumper across that connector fools the controller into thinking that the charger is disconnected and the cart will run, i just have to make sure to not drive off with it plugged in. This can also be done in programming by disabling charger check (Line 5) in the programming.

I’m going to try to trade my factory charger back with the dealer for a spare roypow charger or sell it to someone who needs a spare.

I installed the 2” aluminum spacers from amazon, definite improvement in stability.

Dealer upped RPM to 5000 to give 25 up from factory 19 mph. I make take it 30 but 25 is plenty fast for my wife.

I installed a backup camera powered by the power cable that originally went to the very annoying backup horn and it comes on automatically when switched to reverse. Very very nice unit for 35 bucks.

Installed the flashing turn signal side mirrors. Dealer installed bluetooth stereo with speakers in rear deck behind second row.

I built the cable that Atrain suggested and it works like a champ. We probably get 25 miles of more before the charge gets below 50%. The lithium maintains full 51 volts throughout the discharge range which is great.

I rewired everything the dealer did and put the wires inside plastic wire loom to protect from elements and routed everything neatly up high on the chassis to prevent any damage.

Some pics attached. Hoping Icon will come out with some glove box covers soon.

This forum is great and I love all the great ideas and experiences. So far I am thrilled with this cart.
mbrown55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2021, 11:58 PM   #2
MPH711
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Things I’ve done so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown55 View Post
I installed a backup camera powered by the power cable that originally went to the very annoying backup horn and it comes on automatically when switched to reverse. Very very nice unit for 35 bucks.
Great stuff! When you get a chance I’d like to hear more detail about how you hooked up the backup camera. Thanks!
MPH711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
mbrown55
Getting Wild

Used the power from the back up horn and the camera comes on when the cart is in reverse.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

Great post!

Quote:
The trick to removing the factory charger is a two wire cable from the charger that supplies on/off logic to the motor controller so that you can’t drive off with the charge plugged in. A jumper across that connector fools the controller into thinking that the charger is disconnected and the cart will run, i just have to make sure to not drive off with it plugged in. This can also be done in programming by disabling charger check (Line 5) in the programming.
This is good to know, but it's technically bypassing a safety feature. When the ICON charger is active, it disconnects those two wires, and when off, it reconnects them.

I would GUESS, with a decently high degree of confidence, that your new lithium charger has some sort of feature to do the same and it's not a bad idea to hook that up.

If it does not or you can't figure it out, you should be able to buy a 48v automotive relay and wire it with "Normally Closed (NC)" settings.

It sounds complicated, but they're pretty simple. What that means is you basically wire it so that when at rest, the wires are bridged, so your cart will always run. Then when the charger supplies power to your batteries, you split that power off and power the relay, which would switch it to "open" and un-bridge that wire and the controller would know you're charging.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Automo...dp/B07QRPFT96/
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
mbrown55
Getting Wild

or just remember to not drive off if its plugged in. That being said there is an aux. outlet on the roypow charger but absolutely no documentation as to what pin does what. I will try to do some research and find out who makes this charger and reconnect the charger lockout logic.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
or just remember to not drive off if its plugged in. That being said there is an aux. outlet on the roypow charger but absolutely no documentation as to what pin does what. I will try to do some research and find out who makes this charger and reconnect the charger lockout logic.
If you trust your memory is bulletproof lol. My issue is I have a girlfriend and sometimes friends who I let drive the cart. I always thread the charging cable through the wheel but I like the reassurance myself.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
mbrown55
Getting Wild

cable through steering wheel is a good idea.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Tons of carts out there everyday surviving without that feature, so you'll probably be ok, lol.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #9
tpowel2
Not Yet Wild

What backup camera did you buy? Do you have a link? I'd love to add one.
tpowel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
mbrown55
Getting Wild

DoHonest S01 HD 1080P Car Backup Camera and Monitor kit for Front/Rear View License Plate Reverse Camera. Amazon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon