lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default MCI engine

These MCI engines have got a bad rap here over the years because of oiling issues. I was checking an old backup drive I had laying around yesterday and found a spreadsheet I made long time ago where I kept records at the golf course I worked at. It had year models and serial numbers on it.

We had 30 of these TXT carts where I worked with MCI engines. Not once did I ever have to repair one according to my records. They got run 7 days a week. We changed the oil and air filter every winter.

Because they cut our budget these carts were still running when I retired in Feb of 2012, and never any issues.

I also found this which I don't think I have ever seen. Though some might like to see what it said about these MCI engines. I am sure a few will disagree with me but thats ok to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCI.jpg (167.8 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: MCI engine

Nothing but respect for you Tommy. Good info. However, The only factor I can see that hasn’t been accounted for here is that those carts were new when you were working on them. They are 13-18 years old now and not been maintained like they would have been when they were new on the course back then. Add in other wear and tear and in my opinion just don’t hold up as well as the earlier versions. When they run right, yes it’s a sweet smooth running engine. I just don’t think that they were designed to hold up as well long term.

The phrase “they don’t build them like they used to” comes to mind. The Kawasaki that replaced them certainly isn’t as refined and smooth as the robins. But at least you can still get parts for it at a reasonable price.

Just my thoughts anyway
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Nothing but respect for you Tommy. Good info. However, The only factor I can see that hasn’t been accounted for here is that those carts were new when you were working on them. They are 13-18 years old now and not been maintained like they would have been when they were new on the course back then. Add in other wear and tear and in my opinion just don’t hold up as well as the earlier versions. When they run right, yes it’s a sweet smooth running engine. I just don’t think that they were designed to hold up as well long term.

The phrase “they don’t build them like they used to” comes to mind. The Kawasaki that replaced them certainly isn’t as refined and smooth as the robins. But at least you can still get parts for it at a reasonable price.

Just my thoughts anyway
Yes parts for these are getting harder to find but if you know where to look most things are still available for now. The MCI was only built four years so I know the parts for them will soon fade away. I got a few spare parts stowed away .

I am rebuilding two PRE -MCI engines now that I have been putting off for two years. I did buy all the parts back in 2019. The blocks are perfect on both so someone took care of them before I got them.

I also will be honest. I am glad they are the Pre-Mci.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Nice find Trig, i seem to recall getting a similar memo when these were introduced.

It also helps by explaining the differences in the engine and why you cant mix and match a lot of the parts between pre and MCI.

CP has a point about the age and lack of proper maintenance after leaving their original place on the golf courses and i must also admit to having no problems with them when new!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
dcwneil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a complete MCI 295 less the head. The engine had a old style head on it and I would like to put it back with the correct head. I f anyone can help let me know. Thanks
dcwneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:51 PM   #6
renfrotr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Trig,
do you know what years the MCI engines were used by EZGO? I have a 2007 EZGO ST and trying to find parts for it is tough.
renfrotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:55 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrotr View Post
Trig,
do you know what years the MCI engines were used by EZGO? I have a 2007 EZGO ST and trying to find parts for it is tough.
2007 would be a MCI. They made them from around 2003-2008. I believe late 2008 and 2009 they switched to the Kawasaki
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
renfrotr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks CP. I have an ignition problem I'm tring to solve. Don't know if it is the ignition coil, pulsar coil or, ignitor. I replaced the ignition coil but not getting spark. I have a post in the Gas EZGO Forum,...trying to figure out how to test all three
renfrotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #9
dcwneil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I still need a 295 MCI head for my unit. Thanks
dcwneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:24 AM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

Just my thoughts anyway
They were not new when I was still working on them but they were used on a golf course and the governors had not been messed with.

They first came out in 2004. I didn't retire until 2012 . We had ten 2004 models still running back then and never once had a problem with them. The cranking issue when cold was much better . Valve adjustments were far and few between because of harder intake valves. Did I say I didn't like what came next in 2008
In saying all this I still like the Pre MCI engine better. These MCI engines were only made four years . I will say if I raise the seat and see a MCI I normally pass on working on it. Like you I really don't trust the oiling system.
The pre mci robbin engine is and will always be my favorite engine. Ezgo needs to have someone design a clone of the pre mci engines but I think they lean more toward electric carts for the future.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO