lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2020, 12:45 AM   #1
lx5spd
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default VC625 starting and running issues

New member and I recently installed a VC625 in my 1988 Yamaha G2. Install went fine, but it runs terribly. I read the Carb Tuning FAQ on Vegas Carts website and it wasn’t much help.

The issues are:
  • Difficulty starting. I have to pump the throttle and turn the key 4-5 times every time before it will actually start and maintain idle.
  • Won’t hold idle. If I try to drop the idle below ~1250 RPM, the engine will die.
  • Rough idle. Even with the idle set high, it sounds like it stumbles every few seconds.
  • Won’t drive for more than a few hundred feet. When I try to drive it around the court, it will start to cut out after a few hundred feet, regardless of throttle position (1/2 or WOT). It starts to make a snapping/popping noise and will eventually die. This starts the whole cycle of difficulty starting over again. It left me stranded about 1/2 mile my house and I had to push it home...

What I’ve done so far:
  • Drilled out the idle jet. I drilled the idle jet one size up per VC’s FAQ. It made no difference to starting, idle, or running.
  • New fuel pump. I saw that the clear fuel filter housing didn’t appear to be getting as much fuel as I expected (prob about an 1/8” deep inside the housing. It looks like it’s barely touching the actual filter), so I checked the vacuum line from the valve cover to the pump. That was fine. Didn’t notice any other vacuum leaks. It’s a brand new engine, so vacuum lines should not be rotted. So I bought a new fuel pump on Amazon. Again, no change.
  • Also strange is that I looked at the video I took from the initial start up and break in and the filter housing was about 1/2 full, but the engine does to appear to be pulling that amount of vacuum any longer, even though it’s got like 1.5 hours on the meter, and it’s almost all been idling while trying to figure this thing out.

I’ve dug through a bunch of the older threads trying to find answers and found some different approaches. I was hoping based on my described symptoms yall could tell me which direction to take.

Carburetor Tuning:

Carb tuning is definitely not my forte, but I’m comfortable messing with it with a little direction. It sounds like user Shepard is a whiz with these carbs so hopefully he reads this and can help. I’m willing to buy parts to throw at the carb, but I’m a little hesitant to have to drill/tap anything and would like to avoid that if possible.

Fuel return line:

A few threads mentioned installing a return line to the fuel tank solved similar issues. Also, the use of an electric fuel pump instead of the vacuum fed pump. I’m confident I can do that myself.

I apologize if I missed a thread that simply answers these issues, but I need some assistance. My wife is pretty pissed that I spent so much money on this engine only to make the cart unusable....

Thanks in advance!
lx5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: VC625 starting and running issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx5spd View Post
New member and I recently installed a VC625 in my 1988 Yamaha G2. Install went fine, but it runs terribly. I read the Carb Tuning FAQ on Vegas Carts website and it wasn’t much help.

The issues are:
  • Difficulty starting. I have to pump the throttle and turn the key 4-5 times every time before it will actually start and maintain idle.
  • Won’t hold idle. If I try to drop the idle below ~1250 RPM, the engine will die.
  • Rough idle. Even with the idle set high, it sounds like it stumbles every few seconds.
  • Won’t drive for more than a few hundred feet. When I try to drive it around the court, it will start to cut out after a few hundred feet, regardless of throttle position (1/2 or WOT). It starts to make a snapping/popping noise and will eventually die. This starts the whole cycle of difficulty starting over again. It left me stranded about 1/2 mile my house and I had to push it home...

What I’ve done so far:
  • Drilled out the idle jet. I drilled the idle jet one size up per VC’s FAQ. It made no difference to starting, idle, or running.
  • New fuel pump. I saw that the clear fuel filter housing didn’t appear to be getting as much fuel as I expected (prob about an 1/8” deep inside the housing. It looks like it’s barely touching the actual filter), so I checked the vacuum line from the valve cover to the pump. That was fine. Didn’t notice any other vacuum leaks. It’s a brand new engine, so vacuum lines should not be rotted. So I bought a new fuel pump on Amazon. Again, no change.
  • Also strange is that I looked at the video I took from the initial start up and break in and the filter housing was about 1/2 full, but the engine does to appear to be pulling that amount of vacuum any longer, even though it’s got like 1.5 hours on the meter, and it’s almost all been idling while trying to figure this thing out.

I’ve dug through a bunch of the older threads trying to find answers and found some different approaches. I was hoping based on my described symptoms yall could tell me which direction to take.

Carburetor Tuning:

Carb tuning is definitely not my forte, but I’m comfortable messing with it with a little direction. It sounds like user Shepard is a whiz with these carbs so hopefully he reads this and can help. I’m willing to buy parts to throw at the carb, but I’m a little hesitant to have to drill/tap anything and would like to avoid that if possible.

Fuel return line:

A few threads mentioned installing a return line to the fuel tank solved similar issues. Also, the use of an electric fuel pump instead of the vacuum fed pump. I’m confident I can do that myself.

I apologize if I missed a thread that simply answers these issues, but I need some assistance. My wife is pretty pissed that I spent so much money on this engine only to make the cart unusable....

Thanks in advance!
Yes you need carburetor help. You also need 3 posts or comment to send private messages.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
lx5spd
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Ok, this should be #3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

With most of these clones you either buy an adjustable carb or you adjust that one. To get the idle you need the idle mix screw usually on the side near the head. Due to the epa they either cap them and you have to drill the cap out, or they break the screw off in there you have to slot it with a dremel and heat with a solder gun to release the loctite to get out. You can buy screws and kits on ebay/etc. Richen the idle and slow idle down, then get it good and turn the idle screw out a little more maybe quarter turn that is often a good setting and better starting. Unless you have a governor on it pulling the throttle open at rest then they need choke nomatter usually. Far as running you may have to richen the main especially if you changed the airbox and/or exhaust to flow more. You can buy jets or buy a torch tip cleaner and file that one larger with it. Once you get it running good you don't have to mess with it again. Make sure when you jet anything the engine is warmed up at the time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
lx5spd
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Any idea what carb I can buy that will work with this engine? Will they all bolt up or is there an adapter plate needed?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

You mentioned that the pulse line is hooked up to the valve cover. Did you do that? The VC625 comes with a pulse line fitting to the crankcase, not the valve cover. I would start there, with the G2 this should make for a very short pulse line, which should improve signal. Make sure that no oil gets into the pulse line as that will weaken/block the signal. Another route would be to remove and clean the carb thoroughly, these small engine carbs have small jets/metering holes. They can easily become blocked from small debris. Also double check you have the connections to the pump correct. Maybe post a picture up of the engine bay to see what exactly were working with as far as line routing and filters.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
lx5spd
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpro56 View Post
You mentioned that the pulse line is hooked up to the valve cover. Did you do that? The VC625 comes with a pulse line fitting to the crankcase, not the valve cover. I would start there, with the G2 this should make for a very short pulse line, which should improve signal. Make sure that no oil gets into the pulse line as that will weaken/block the signal. Another route would be to remove and clean the carb thoroughly, these small engine carbs have small jets/metering holes. They can easily become blocked from small debris. Also double check you have the connections to the pump correct. Maybe post a picture up of the engine bay to see what exactly were working with as far as line routing and filters.
My engine came with an aluminum plug in the block where the pulse fitting used to be and also came with a separate valve cover with the fitting for the vacuum line. I emailed VC’s tech. They advised that the manufacturer did not include the fitting on the block and this was the fix.

Could it be that the vacuum level is weaker at the head and not pulling as much as it should be causing less fuel line pressure?

The line isn’t blocked. It’s a clear line and the engine has less than 2 hours on it since I haven’t been able to get it running since the install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5160BA90-53F8-4E13-AC2D-345C5A54F719.jpeg (254.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 1E4062BA-F08A-4AB3-800E-0270580956FE.jpeg (277.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ahhh, I remember that now. Its very possible that could cause some issue with the pulse signal that they were unaware of with this engine. I know some of the smaller displacement engines have used this style with no issue, but it just may not work with the 625.

Do you have a link to the pump that you bought off from Amazon?

Here is a picture of my return line setup. I used plastic fittings suitable for use with gasoline. Hardest part was drilling the tank without getting debris in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190828_184348_resized.jpg (157.6 KB, 0 views)
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
lx5spd
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Here is the link. Same part number, but appears to be a 3rd party manufacturer

New Fuel Pump for Yamaha Gas Golf Cart G2 G9 G11 G14 J38-24452-10-00 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NL5VXSL...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx5spd View Post
My engine came with an aluminum plug in the block where the pulse fitting used to be and also came with a separate valve cover with the fitting for the vacuum line. I emailed VC’s tech. They advised that the manufacturer did not include the fitting on the block and this was the fix.

Could it be that the vacuum level is weaker at the head and not pulling as much as it should be causing less fuel line pressure?

The line isn’t blocked. It’s a clear line and the engine has less than 2 hours on it since I haven’t been able to get it running since the install.
Does the valve cover have any kind of a valve system [PCV Valve] built into the inside? Few the pulse line is hooked into the PCV control you will have a weaker pulse signal. If you read this it may better explain.

https://affordablegokarts.com/pages/fuel-pump-setup
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps