lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #901
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Vc 460

Near 80 today in mid october. The cart is running great so I got a couple of windshield down rides in today. Noticed I now have racked up 2 hours since the last oil change. Keep this up and I will doing a mid november oil change rather than Vicki going into hibernation.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #902
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

After seeing Paul's carts cylinder head videos I looked at my head #2 which is a ported and valve unshrouded unmilled VC 460 unit. I had done a lot more than I remembered on just off the valve seat, but didn't do nearly enough on the guide pyramid as Jody Powell from ARC had recommended. Head #1 which is a .075 milled VC unit which is on the cart probably has the same valve unshrouding as unit #2,but probably also lacks the smoothing out of the valve guide pyramids. Less work than I was figuring on when I pull the head this winter to install the NRracing 6500 rpm valve kit. P.S.Just ordered the Kibblewhite viton valve seals. It comes in a 4 pack so both heads can be upgraded.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #903
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

After staring at head #2 more and being a little bored this a.m. I decided to measure around the valve seat and found I was no where near an eighth of an inch straight out. Broke out the cylinder shaped carbide cutter I bought to try on this job. I have to say Paul is right, there is a lot of room for improvement in that area. It was good to get my technique down on my not so valuable head #2 before working on my much more costly head #1.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #904
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Nice part is if you go through or mess up you can get it welded up easy enough. I thought I took pics of my ports but I can't find any after porting. I was in a hurry had a shop do it, and a more mild job he didn't hog anything but did do around the seats and valve guides. Mine had big cutter marks around the guides, the 460 heads are made differently and look nicer than my lifan did. Well mine no longer has them lol, but stock it did. Had cart out today running good, pretty mild and stopped raining for a day. Doing yard work cart was handy. Way too much going on these days and charter killed my email it wont work right now, got to love when those moron tech companies merge and mess everything up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #905
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When I ported and unshrouded my head I used what info and pics were around for the SBC. So that is what I used for a guide. Just lately discovered ARC's dyno tested head work along with Paul's work on the flow bench. So we will see what happens. Also wasn't aware of the viton valve seals. Along with my EXP-S carb was never properly cleaned up where the choke was removed. Next years engine should be more potent.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #906
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Since I have posted so much on porting and valve unshrouding I thought it might be helpful to post my weapons of choice. After trying untold dremel bits that took forever to remove the amount of metal I needed to clear out Mr. Chevy supplied me with conical unit he uses. It is a 1/4" shank carbide piece.It worked so well I just added the cylinder version of the same type. These things will really remove some metal FAST. I just ordered some 6" long shank versions of these to do the valve guide pyramids more easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0684.jpg (179.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #907
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I bought a cheapo dremal type tool with the flexible shaft and use 1/8" carbide burrs. You must have a mint in the 1/4 x 6" burrs. The 1/8 inch cutter are pricey enough. For me there's more control with the little pencil point cutter.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #908
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The conical one was a gift from M.R. Chevy, the cylinder shaped one was $10 on E bay and finally the long shaft set is $22 also on E bay. With the price being so much lower on the set of 4 we will see if the quality is there versus the USA produced units that last and last under hard use. Point 2 is I find the much larger diameter cutting bits are a lot less apt to gouge or make wavy longer curved cuts as in going around the valve seats under the seats in the valve pockets. Point 3 I found for me the tool is a lot less jumpy mounted in my porter cable ion cordless drill set on low speed.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #909
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bored again this a.m.rainy weather so I decided to do the finish work I had not done when testing the EXP-S carb both before and after its return from owego. When you get something new to test sometimes the fine details get back burnered. First I removed and space out the bolt used to block where the choke shaft came thru the top of the carb. Along with that I removed the rough casting edge and the choke plate detent bump in that area.I also smoothed out all the casting ridges in the choke and throat area. Spotted another area on the right lower corner that did not port match to the VC billet intake manifold I use an an air cleaner adapter to my K&N filter. Put it all back together and took a quickie test run in the misty weather. I ran Vicki up and down a couple of time to 4500 or so rpms under full throttle.At least she started right up and all seems to be good.P.S. I did a bump on the EXP-S carb
Old 10-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #910
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

WOW ! The weather cleared and I was able to do some real run testing of this a.m. mods. The idea was to just sort of cleaning the front of the carb figuring there would be some increase in air flow. BUT to my surprise I picked up a large increase in power that was totally unexpected. I know builders talk about these engines being carb restricted but for the small amount of casting flash and choke shaft upper casting I removed the results are unbelievable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps